The Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Center at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Cardiovascular Institute is one of the largest in the country. Here, our heart specialists use the most sophisticated technology available to diagnose and treat your heart problem.
Benefits of cardiac MRIs
Cardiac MRIs use radiofrequency waves and magnets to create detailed 3D still images and real-time videos of your heart and circulatory system. These images provide a clear view of your heart’s chambers, valves, and blood vessels in motion. Cardiac MRIs are often far superior to conventional imaging methods.
Advantages of a cardiac MRI include:
- Better for you: This painless, noninvasive procedure is faster, safer, and easier than some other imaging tests that expose you to radiation or require the use of an injectable dye.
- Fast results: You may have your results and diagnosis within 24 hours of undergoing this 45-minute procedure.
- Proven safe for heart devices: We helped spearhead the use of cardiac MRIs on select patients with mechanical circulatory support devices, such as pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs).
Minimally invasive procedures: Our specialists rely on cardiac MRIs to perform precise, catheter-based procedures through small incisions in your chest or side. For you, this surgical approach means less pain, a faster return to daily activities, and reduced blood loss. Learn more about minimally invasive heart surgery.
The cardiac MRI center at Allegheny Health Network: why choose us?
Our heart specialists rely on cardiac MRIs to make an accurate diagnosis, streamline your pre-operative tests, and eliminate the need for separate procedures, such as echocardiograms and nuclear stress tests.
We offer you:
- Skilled team of experts: Our team of dedicated imaging cardiologists, specialized cardiac physicists, cardiology advanced fellows, MRI technicians, imaging analysts, nurses, and support staff work collaboratively to provide you with a quick diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan.
- Women-specific care: We were one of the first centers in the country to prove that cardiac MRI is more effective at detecting heart disease in women than traditional methods, such as catheterizations and nuclear stress tests.
- Commitment to excellence: Our center is accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission for MRI Laboratories. This recognition reflects our commitment to invest in leading technology and advanced staff training. We also receive funding from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to pioneer new uses for cardiac MRIs.
- Aid for other conditions: Our team partners with AHN radiology experts to interpret noncardiac images. We perform tests for patients with neurological and orthopaedic problems. We also perform presurgical cardiac scans for liver transplant candidates to ensure that heart and vascular systems can handle the stress of surgery.
- Novel approaches: When appropriate, you may choose to participate in imaging research studies overseen by the AHN Cardiovascular Research Institute.
- Exceptional care: AHN is the highest-rated health system in western Pennsylvania for patient safety in overall medical care, overall surgical care, heart attack treatment, heart failure treatment, and pulmonary care, according to the 2018 CareChex® quality rating system.*
*Number one in market claims are based on CareChex® 2018 Composite Quality Scores and Ratings™ for acute care hospitals serving the combined statistical area (CSA) of Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton. Source: 2018 CareChex, an information service of Quantros, Inc. January 2014 – June 2016.