Our program includes a full PGY of either research or advanced clinical practice, which may be taken as PGY6 or PGY7, with the other year being the chief resident year.
Overall curriculum for the PGY7 research or advanced clinical practice year:
- 12 months devoted to laboratory/clinical research or assumption of advanced clinical training.
- Attend all mandatory neurosurgical/neuroscience conferences.
- Prepare lectures for journal club, ethics, spine and M&M conferences.
- Take “chief” call one day out of 7.
- Write at least one abstract, book chapter or article.
- Maintain case log thru ACGME site and provide all required documentation for resident portfolio.
If the research year option is selected, the goals and objectives for the resident are to:
- Organize and perform laboratory project organized in prior year.
- Perform extensive review of literature pertaining to project.
- Submit abstract of work to major scientific meeting
- Review fundamentals of research design and biostatistics.