Chemotherapy and Targeted Therapy Mixing Standards of Practice Vignette 4
This course is designed to provide all licensed competent practitioners involved with the ordering, mixing, administration, management, and/or handling of chemotherapy and targeted therapy agents a comprehensive review of the new national guidelines for standards for practice. The new guidelines that will be reviewed were developed by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS). These institutions have developed 31 standards encompassing seven domains: 1) review of clinical information and selection of a treatment regimen; 2) treatment planning and informed consent; 3) ordering of treatment; 4) drug preparation; 5) assessment of treatment compliance; 6) administration and monitoring; and 7) assessment of response.
This vignette addresses mixing and drug preparation guidelines for mixing of antineoplastic drugs.
- Demonstrate policy and procedure for order verification, mixing, labeling and transporting of chemotherapy and targeted therapy drugs.
- Explain the mixing steps and processes of chemotherapy and targeted therapy agents.
- Demonstrate policy and procedure for spill management in a BSC hood.
- Define specific biohazardous agents.
- Demonstrate the proper donning of personal protective equipment.
- Demonstrate proper disposal of chemotherapy and targeted therapy vials and supplies used to mix.
- Confidently provide safe and consistent, ordering, preparation/mixing, handling, and disposal of hazardous medications
- All licensed competent practitioners in the WPAHS involved with the mixing and/or handling of chemotherapy and targeted therapy agents