This course is the first in a series of three one and one half hour sessions designed for healthcare team members: physicians, residents, nurses, students etc. Participants have the opportunity to review techniques and practice having a difficult conversation with a standardized patient in a simulated environment thus gaining the confidence needed to have these conversations with empathy and compassion.
- Practice non-verbal and verbal communication skills to create a rapport with patients.
- Demonstrate individual confidence to have difficult conversations.
- Utilize the tools provided in this course to incorporate into everyday practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to improve quality of care and communication with patients.
- Participants will be able to establish a rapport with the patient to address their individual concerns, and discuss advanced care planning.
- Participants will be able to confidently communicate with patients regarding prognosis, disease process and symptom management.
- Participants will have more confidence to initiate Hospice conversations/transitions.
- Participants will be able to effectively diffuse a conversation that has become negative in nature.