As an integrated health network serving Western Pennsylvania and its neighboring states, AHN is one of the largest health care providers in Pennsylvania with a longstanding commitment to training expert physicians and leaders across all specialties and subspecialties, especially in the field of cardiovascular medicine.
Cardiology fellows are based at Allegheny General Hospital (AGH), our 630-bed quaternary care flagship hospital. The AHN Cardiovascular Institute includes multimodality imaging, busy advanced heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, structural heart disease, and advanced electrophysiology programs. In 2014, the hospital renovated a dedicated 24-bed cardiac ICU and separate step-down unit in addition to a similarly sized cardiothoracic ICU and surgical step-down unit.
Among the program’s highlights are:
- high-volume, well-rounded clinical exposure
- Transplant/LVAD/Temporary MCS Program
- Pulmonary Hypertension Referral Center
- Advanced Structural Heart Disease Program
- Complex Arrhythmia Management
- Cardiology-led Multimodality Imaging
- specialty clinics dedicated to women’s heart disease, cardio-oncology, amyloidosis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, prevention, aortic disease, and cardiac palliative care
Below are just some of the reasons why previous candidates have
chosen to pursue a fellowship with our program:
- Engaged, diverse, and supportive faculty mentors in a "family" environment
- Dedicated wellness curriculum
- Scholarly Activity Infrastructure leveraging resources of an Integrated Healthcare Delivery System and an affiliation with Carnegie Mellon University
- 100% board pass rate with post-graduate placement across all subspecialty fellowships and practice settings
- Faculty and program leadership is actively engaged in career development of fellows.
- Graduating fellows over the last few years have secured EP, HF and ACHD fellowships in institutions such as Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, UCLA, Northwestern, UPMC, and MGH.
- AGH offers subspecialty fellowships in Advanced Heart Failure, Interventional Cardiology, Multimodality Imaging, and Cardiac Critical Care.
Listed below are our 2019 procedural volumes:
- TAVR: 250 cases
- MitraClip: 25 cases
- Watchman: 35 cases
- ASD / PFO Closure: 27 cases
- Angiovac: 10 cases
- Valvuloplasty: 42 cases
- Paravalvular Leak Plug: 5 cases
- EKOS: 12 cases
- Heart transplant: 25 cases
- Prostacyclin PH Therapy: 79 cases
- LVAD: 30 cases
- Impella & Tandem Heart Devices: 90 cases
- ECMO: 50 cases
- ICDs/PPMs: 600 cases
- VT Ablation: 84 cases
- SVT Ablation: 164 cases
- AF Ablation: 275 cases
- Cardiac MR: 1750 cases
- Cardiac CT: 500 cases