Costs and Financial Aid

Coronavirus Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act Higher Education
Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Reports

West Penn Hospital School of Nursing has received funds from the US
Government CARES Act HEERF. Learn more about these funds and, view our
quarterly reports and monthly statements by visiting WPHSON

Financial Aid

WPHSON financial aid office is here to assist you in the process of applying - and completing all required documentation - for financial aid. WPHSON’s financial aid website provides students with financial aid resources, tips, and step-by-step guide on how to apply for their financial aid. Do not hesitate to email or call us with questions, comments, or concerns.

Sarah Loomis
Financial Aid Director
(412) 578-5530

Rosanna Sarantinoudis
Student Account Associate
(412) 578-5537

What is Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is funding helps students and their families afford the costs associated with attending a post-secondary institution. This financial assistance covers educational expenses including, but not limited to, tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, transportation, etc. There are several types of financial aid, including grants, scholarships, work-study, and student/parent educational loans.

Who can receive financial aid?

Every student who meets certain eligibility requirements can get some type of financial aid, regardless of age or family income. Some basic eligibility requirements are:

  • Demonstrate financial need
  • U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Register (if you haven’t already) with Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school;
  • Have high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or a state-recognized equivalent; or completed a high school education in a home-school setting approved under state law; or enrolled in an eligible career pathways program.

Types of Financial Aid Available

There are various types of financial aid funding available such as federal government grants, federal student loans, state grants, scholarships and private educational loans.


Grants are funds that do not need to be repaid. There are federal and state grants which are based on financial need. A student’s grant eligibility is determined once they complete and have a valid FAFSA on file.


Scholarships are funds to assistance a student in paying for their educational cost. Most scholarships do not have to be repaid. (Check with the scholarship organization for details) Scholarships are awarded to a student based off of the different guidelines set by the scholarship organization. Below are some links to help find scholarships that you may qualify for:


Internal - School of Nursing Scholarships

Scholarship awards will be disbursed according to the stipulations expressed by the source of the award. If there are no stipulations, awards will be disbursed at the discretion of the director of the School of Nursing.

Students of West Penn Hospital School of Nursing may be eligible for the following awards:

  • Allied Health Clinical Ladder Award - Given to one student who graduates from the Allied Health Academy as a certified nursing assistant and goes on to pursue education as a professional nurse at the West Penn Hospital School of Nursing. The applicant with the highest GPA receives the award if more than one applies.
  • Alumni Award - The West Penn Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association annually awards up to three (3) scholarships of $1,000 each to first-year students based on academic achievement, essay, and financial need:
    • First year student, GPA of 3.0 or above following completion of the first academic term.
    • Eligible students will be given an application and guidelines for essay completion.
  • Audrey Maiden Scholarship - Awarded to one first-year and one second-year student who are not eligible for federal grants and have demonstrated financial need. Must be Pennsylvania residents.​
  • Beckel Scholarship - Second-year nursing students who have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 may be eligible for the M. Jane Beckel Scholarship:
    • You must have a high rating in clinical.
    • Financial need must be demonstrated.
  • Bigley Memorial Scholarship - Second-year nursing students may be eligible for the Donna Bigley Memorial Scholarship.
    • Applicants must be in the top 20% of the first-year class based on cumulative GPA.
    • Application requires completion of an essay regarding the applicant's philosophy of nursing and why they chose the nursing profession.
  • Doris Tannehill Weyand Scholarship - Awarded to a resident of a rural county of Pennsylvania (Somerset, Fayette, Cambria, or Bedford). Applicant must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and write a brief essay. A scholarship committee votes on the essay.
  • Eden Hall Foundation Scholarships - First-year and second-year students who are not participating in a tuition forgiveness program may be eligible. Scholarships of $500 each are awarded at the end of the first year Winter and Summer terms and at the end of each term in the second year:
    • Grades of "C" or better must be achieved.
    • The scholarships are based on financial need.
    • Students must not be eligible for federal or state grants.
    • Students may not have defaulted on previous loans.
  • Karen Jones Scholarship - Second-year students may be eligible for a $500 Karen Jones Scholarship. The recipient is nominated by faculty based on their demonstration of a "superior" level of caring, empathy, accountability, nursing knowledge, and nursing skills.
  • Kathryn Dinardo Scholarship for Excellence in Clinical Performance - Awarded after the first year and the second year of the program. Students must consistently demonstrate professionalism, accountability, caring, compassion, positive interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage a client's care completely.


Loans are borrowed funds that must be repaid. Repayment can often be deferred as long as a student remains enrolled at least half-time (6 credits). There are several types of loans available to help students and/or parents fund their education.

  • Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Parent PLUS Loan
  • Private Alternative Educational Loan

Steps to Apply for Financial Aid

Apply for a Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID)
The FSAID is your legal electronic signature for all online federal financial aid applications. You (and your parent if you are considered a dependent) must have a FSAID. It takes approximately 48 hours for the FSAID to be validated, therefore it is imperative you apply as soon as possible. You cannot create an FSA ID on behalf of someone else. Do not give out your FSAID to anyone.

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The FAFSA is the main application that determines a student’s financial aid eligibility. You will need your completed tax return and w-2’s accessible to help guide you through the FAFSA. If you are a dependent, you will need your federal tax return as well as your parent's from 2015 nearby.

  • Use the data retrieval tool to import all tax information.
  • WPHSON’s Federal School Code is 006583.
  • If you stop in the middle of the application, remember to SAVE your work.

Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

Once you submit your FAFSA, it takes approximately 2-3 business days to process the application. You will then receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR is a confirmation of the information you entered on the FAFSA.

The information provided on the FAFSA was used to calculate an EFC. The EFC determines what type and how much financial aid a student is eligible to receive. To make sure your EFC is correct, review all of the information on your SAR carefully. If you need to make a correction, you can do so online via the FAFSA website.

Complete Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) Application (PA Residents only)
PHEAA is a grant offered to all Pennsylvania residents with a financial need. To be eligible for the PHEAA grant, you must complete their FAFSA by May 1st of the current year. Once your FAFSA is completed, you have two options to complete your PHEAA grant application. You can either transfer your FAFSA information to their PHEAA application by clicking the link on the FAFSA confirmation page or apply online thru PHEAA’s website. You must sign and mail in the last page of the PHEAA application.

Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) 
If you are planning to borrow student loans to help cover the cost of your program, you must complete a Master Promissory Note. The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document you sign promising to repay student loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, it explains the terms and conditions of borrowing a student loan(s).

  • It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete the MPN
  • You must log in using your own FSA ID
  • You will need the name and address for at least 2 references.

Complete Entrance Counseling
To ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations of borrowing a federal student loan, the Department of Education requires you to complete entrance counseling. Please keep the following in mind when doing so:

  • It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete and must be completed in a single session.
  • You must log in using your FSA ID
  • You will need the name(s) of the school(s) you wish to notify of counseling completion

Financial Aid Documents for 2021-2022

Continued Eligibility

Continuation or renewal of state or federal aid is contingent upon satisfactory academic progress.

If enrollment is interrupted or terminated for any reason, financial aid refunds and repayments will be calculated according to federal and state guidelines and School policy. Title IV Federal Financial Aid eligibility will be suspended for any conviction of a drug-related offense. Eligibility will be reinstated upon satisfactory completion of a mandatory sentence and proof of rehabilitation if applicable.

Costs for repeat courses in the same school year are at the student’s expense. Students are eligible to reapply for aid as detailed in the School’s Financial Aid Policy/Procedure Manual, which is available from the School’s Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Glossary

Academic Year Definitions
The Department of Education defines an academic year as at least 30 weeks of instructional time. The number of weeks of instructional time is based on the period that begins on the first day of classes in the academic year and ends on the last day of classes or examinations. For all FSA programs, a week of instructional time is any period of 7 consecutive days in which at least 1 day of regularly scheduled instruction, examination, or (after the last day of classes) at least 1 scheduled day of study for examinations occurs.” The West Penn Hospital School of Nursing program consists of four 10-week terms (40 weeks) per academic year.

Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance (COA) is used to calculate a student’s financial need. The estimated cost of attendance for an institution usually includes tuition, fees, room and board, transportation, books and supplies, liability insurance, uniforms/shoes, personal and miscellaneous expenses.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
The expected family contribution is the amount the student and/or the student’s family are expected to contribute to the student’s education from income and assets. The contribution amount is based on a federal government formula adopted by Congress. The expected family contribution will be the same for any school to which the student applies.

Dependent Student
A dependent student is one who must report their parent’s income in addition to their own. A dependent student is one who does not fall into one of the categories given under the definition of “Independent Student”(see below).

Independent Student
An independent student is one who reports only his/her income (and spouse’s, if married) when completing the FAFSA.

A student is automatically considered independent if they:

  • Are at least 24 years old as of January 1, 1993
  • Are married or legally separated as of the date he/she complete the FAFSA
  • Will be a graduate or professional student when the award year starts
  • Are serving on active duty for purposes other than training
  • Are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Have dependents, other than a spouse, who receive more than half their support from them
  • Are an orphan, foster child, or ward of the court at any time since the age of 13
  • Are an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship
  • Were determined at any time since July 1, 2014, to be an unaccompanied or homeless youth

Satisfactory Academic Progress
Satisfactory academic progress is the requirement of a financial aid recipient to fulfill a specified educational objective within a specific time frame as defined by the institution and/or the aid agency.

Student Aid Report (SAR)/Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR)
The SAR is a confirmation or receipt of the information the student entered on their FAFSA. You should receive the SAR in approximately 2-3 days after the FAFSA is submitted.

Frequently Asked Questions

What forms do I need to apply?
Initially, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete the FAFSA online.

What is WPHSON’s Federal School code for the FAFSA?

In order to receive financial aid, do I have to apply every year?
Yes. In order to receive consideration for as many programs as possible all students should file a FAFSA.

What are my chances of receiving financial aid?
The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a FAFSA.

What are the factors that determine need?
Many variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, income, and assets.

If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the FAFSA?
The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the information of that parent and their new spouse (stepparent) must be used.

What should I do if my family's financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid?
If your family's financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce, or separation or loss of employment, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your situation.

2022-2023 Tuition & Fees

Estimated net cost after financial aid

U.S. Department of Education Net Price Calculator to estimate your cost to attend the first year at West Penn Hospital School of Nursing, based on the most recent data available for expenses and financial aid.