Allegheny Health Network
Find a
Doctor
Request An Appointment Login to
MyChart
Patient
Center
News Classes &
Events
Contact
Us
Call 412.Doctors

Allegheny General Hospital

History

Highlights from an impressive history

 
  • South tower at AGH1920s The Auxiliary alone raises more than $700,000 to complete the “skyscraper” hospital – AGH’s existing South Tower, a landmark on Pittsburgh’s North Side.

  • 1925 The Auxiliary awards the first AGH nurses scholarship.

  • 1941 The AGH Gift shop opens.

  • 1954 The annual tradition of presenting a Christmas rose to each patient begins.

  • 1968 Participation in the American Cancer Society’s Reach-to-Recovery
    program for gift shop at AGHbreast cancer patients begins.

  • 1984 AGH’s Buckle-Up-Baby program starts.

  • 1992 The Auxiliary reaches the $1 million mark for total money raised during its history.

  • 1996 The Auxiliary raises more than $100,000 for cardiovascular research at its first ball.

  • 1997 The Auxiliary Ball raises funds for Alzheimer’s disease research at AGH.

  • 1999 The Grand Grounds Coffee Cart opens as the Auxiliary’s newest fundraiser.

  • 2000 Funds raised are used to renovate AGH’s Snyder Pavilion lobby.

  • car seat safety2001 The Auxiliary reaches the $3 million mark for total money raised during its history.

  • 2002 The Auxiliary opens a Gift Shop in the new Allegheny General Hospital Cancer Center.

  • 2003-2004 The Auxiliary raises $500,000 to support the Gilmore Women and Infants Center endowment.

  • 2005 The Auxiliary Ball raises more than $115,000 for renovations toward the AGH Surgical Intensive Care Unit waiting room.

  • 2007 The Auxiliary provides funds for the renovation of five waiting rooms.

  • heritage hall2008 The Auxiliary reaches the $5 million mark for total money raised during its history; funds are used to renovate AGH’s Heritage Hall; the Auxiliary Ball raises more than $160,000 for renovations toward the AGH Department of Radiation Oncology patient treatment areas. The Auxiliary purchases a new digital mammogram machine for the Breast Center for $465,000.

  • 2009 The Auxiliary raises $120,000 for the renovation of the Neurosurgery waiting area on the second floor of the South Tower.

  • 2010-2012 The Auxiliary raises $350,000 for the renovations to 8C, a cardiac monitored unit in the Snyder Pavilion, including painting, new furniture and TVs and other patient amenities.

  • 2013 The Auxiliary Gala will benefit the Department of Neurology for the creation of a four-bed seizure unit.