Cardiology and Autoimmune Heart Disease
At the Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Autoimmunity Institute, we bring together 15 types of autoimmune specialists to help you easily manage multiple autoimmune conditions. Our team includes cardiologists who are passionate about providing outstanding care for autoimmune conditions that affect the heart, such as lupus and scleroderma.
Autoimmune heart diseases we treat
When the body’s immune system targets the heart, it can damage it in different ways. Heart diseases that are sometimes caused by an immune response include:
- Rheumatic heart disease: When inflammation called rheumatic fever causes damage to the heart valves )
- Pericarditis: When there is inflammation in the sac that surrounds the heart
- Myocarditis: When there is inflammation in the heart muscle
- Endocarditis: When there is inflammation in the heart’s inner walls and valves
- Coronary artery disease: Where there are narrowed blood vessels due to fatty deposits, which restrict blood flow
Specialized care for autoimmune heart disease
At our institute, our cardiologists have specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of complex autoimmune heart diseases. They use comprehensive blood and imaging tests to evaluate your heart’s function. You can receive all of these tests at West Penn Hospital.
We know it can be overwhelming to manage every way an autoimmune disease can affect your health. That’s why our specialists sit down with you to explain your diagnosis and all your treatment options.
We will partner with you as long your health requires it. Together, we will closely track any changes in your heart function and help you optimize your overall health.
A new approach to autoimmune heart disease care
At our institute, physicians from 15 medical specialties work together to help you manage every way an autoimmune heart condition affects your health. We are the first in the world to care for autoimmune diseases in this way. You’ll also benefit from our:
- Skilled specialists, including board-certified cardiologists and physicians from 13 other specialties who have a deep understanding of common and rare autoimmune diseases
- Focus on research, which involves a full-time team working to develop more effective diagnostic tests and treatments for autoimmune diseases
- Coordinated care that means we keep track of your medical records and medication lists, so you can focus on your health
- Updated facility designed to keep you comfortable while providing the highest level of care
- Convenient patient experience, where you can see multiple autoimmune specialists in one place, often on the same day
West Penn Hospital
4815 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Located in 250 Mellon Pavilion
Call (833) 242-8246 to learn more about AHN autoimmune services.