Food Planning & Diet with Type 2 Diabetes
Following a healthy diet
When you have type 2 diabetes, educating yourself about how to stay healthy should be your first priority, and we can help.
We first recommend that you talk to one of our registered dietitians at the AHN Center for Diabetes and Endocrine Health. They can help you put together a plan that you will actually enjoy eating and will also be easy to manage, whether you’re at home or out with your friends and family.
Remember, you can eat almost anything in moderation. The key is to know which foods cause your blood sugar levels to spike and determine what to avoid. Here are some things to look for:
- Start by eating 3 meals and 1 -2 snacks a day; include a protein at each meal, as well as vegetables, and use portion control.
- Make sure your friends and loved ones are also educated about how you’re managing your diabetes , so that they can support you along the way.
- Keep things simple in the beginning. Find the healthy things you really love to eat and stick with them.
- Plan your meals ahead of time.
- Order simply when you eat out and pay attention to portion size.
Once you understand what foods are blood sugar friendly and what foods lead to blood sugar spikes, you can take control of your health. You can control your diabetes symptoms.