We can help you find the cause of your constant joint inflammation and muscle pain. Our care team includes physicians with more than three decades of experience studying lupus, one of the most complex rheumatic diseases. This kind of experience means we can offer effective rheumatology care to people from across the U.S.
Our rheumatologists work closely with physicians from other medical backgrounds. This collaboration allows them to manage every way a rheumatic disease such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis affects your health and life. We provide comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services at nine outpatient offices throughout the tri-state area, so you’re never far from the care you need.
What is rheumatology?
Rheumatology is a medical specialty that focuses on caring for diseases that affect the musculoskeletal system. The musculoskeletal system includes your:
- Soft tissues
Many rheumatic diseases are autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases happen when your body mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. The result is inflammation, pain, and other symptoms.
Rheumatic diseases, such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, affect every person differently. They can also impact more than one body system at a time. These factors make diagnosis difficult.
At AHN, we have rheumatologists who have spent decades studying and treating these complex conditions. That’s why some people travel hours to experience our high level of diagnostic and treatment services.
Our specialized rheumatology care
Our rheumatology care team is dedicated to providing you with the right diagnosis and the most effective treatments for your symptoms. You’ll benefit from our:
- Experienced health care providers: Our team includes many board-certified and fellowship-trained rheumatologists as well as physician assistants and nurse practitioners. All of our providers receive extensive training to diagnose and treat rheumatic diseases. This training helps us give you a precise diagnosis quickly and tailor treatments to your needs.
- Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis expertise: We offer centers of excellence for two rheumatic diseases: lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Our center of excellence designation shows we’re able to offer our patients uncommon expertise. It also shows our commitment to providing you with the latest care innovations for these complex conditions. Learn more about lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Precise diagnosis: Your rheumatoid arthritis care may include advanced blood tests that identify genetic biomarkers for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. These tests are not widely available elsewhere. Paired with our specialists’ expertise, they help us provide an accurate diagnosis for your problem quickly.
- New treatment options: We participate in clinical trials as we work to find a cure for rheumatic diseases. Our research focus means you may be eligible to participate in a study that explores a promising new treatment. It also helps us provide the most effective medication, injection, and infusion therapies before they are widely available.
- Support services: Having a rheumatic disease can be physically and emotionally exhausting. We’ll connect you with any resources that can help you cope, including physical therapy and online support groups.
- Convenience: We provide diagnostic and treatment services at nine outpatient offices across the greater Pittsburgh area. That way, you can get care close to home. For people who don’t live in western Pennsylvania, we’ll work closely with your local providers to coordinate testing and treatments near you. This close communication helps us track your health and make sure you get the care you need — even when you can’t make it to one of our offices.
Our world-class autoimmune disease care
At our Autoimmunity Institute, located at West Penn Hospital in Bloomfield, we are changing autoimmune disease care for the better. When you come to our institute, you’re able to see physicians from 14 different specialties. This approach means you can address every autoimmune-related health problem you have in one place, in less time.
Our institute also helps us care for patients with complex problems, while offering them more convenience. At our on-site infusion clinic, you can receive the latest infusion therapies available on the same day you touch base with your care team. Learn more about our Autoimmunity Institute.
Rheumatic diseases we treat
We provide comprehensive care for rheumatic diseases including:
- Lupus, which causes inflammation that affects different body systems, such as your joints, heart, and lungs
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes your joints to swell and hurt
- Scleroderma, which causes your skin (and sometimes internal organs) to harden and tighten
- Gout, which causes uric acid crystals to build up in your joints
- Osteoarthritis, which causes cartilage damage between your joints
- Vasculitis, which causes inflammation in your blood vessels
- Sjogren’s syndrome, which causes your mouth and eyes to dry