Neuroscience Research Center
Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Neuroscience Center is home to nationally recognized physicians and highly skilled research scientists who are pursuing promising neuroscience care advances.
We are investigating new avenues in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of a wide range of neurological disorders, helping patients live longer, fuller lives. This commitment to research means patients can access the best therapies and newest technologies, much sooner.
Allegheny Health Network: neuroscience research innovations
Under our robust Division of Research, we participate in clinical trials targeting care improvements for a wide range of medical conditions affecting the nervous system. Our neuroscience research program focuses on multiple areas, including:
- Diagnostics: We are exploring how new diagnostic tools, such as dynamic fluoroscopic motion imaging that shows moving pictures, can help us better understand which treatments would most benefit patients with certain conditions, such as chronic low back pain.
- New pharmacologic (drug) agents: We participate in clinical trials that explore promising new therapies for multiple sclerosis, ALS, epilepsy, and stroke. These trials enable us to offer you the most innovative and effective neurological treatments.
- Neurosurgery advances: Neurosurgeons explore the development and use of new medical devices that can effectively treat spinal cord injury.
- Translational research: A strong translational program takes biological science principles and turns them into medical therapies and devices that can ultimately be used in clinical practice to improve patient care.
- Training improvements: Our Center for the Surgical Arts houses an innovative laboratory, where physicians and medical students train to become experts in using the latest medical technologies. In this safe and controlled environment, physicians can fine-tune techniques using sophisticated robotics technology, increasing patient safety and improving surgical results.
Additional neuroscience research endeavors
Our neuroscience research efforts focus on improving care for a variety of conditions affecting the nervous system, including:
- Cranial conditions: Exploring new techniques to more effectively treat brain tumors and aneurysms
- Diabetes: Advancing treatments to relieve pain in people who develop diabetic neuropathy (nerve pain)
- Multiple sclerosis: Analyzing a comprehensive database to understand disease progression and determine new combinations of drug therapies
- Parkinson’s disease: Developing new therapies for neurological conditions, including electrodes that work more naturally with the human brain, for use in deep brain stimulation therapy (DBS)
- Stroke: Examining how telemedicine (remote stroke services) can improve stroke care and save lives