Asthma Care in Western Pennsylvania
Next time you blow up a beach ball, remember that Allegheny Health Network helps 1,800 kids with asthma every year, so they can breathe, run, and play.
Did you know:
- Nearly 25 million Americans have asthma; one of the most common and costly diseases in the U.S.
- More than 9% of children live with asthma. It is the number one chronic cause of being absent from school. Boys are more affected than girls.
- African-Americans are 3 times more likely to have serious problems from asthma.
- Pittsburgh ranks 27 among 100 U.S. cities where it is challenging to live with asthma, based on how prevalent asthma is, risk factors and medical factors.
- Asthma is caused by inflammation or swelling of the airways. Symptoms include trouble breathing, wheezing, coughing and chest tightness.
Asthma Treatment at AHN
- Screen school children for asthma risk
- Implementing school based treatments
- Conduct robust clinical research programs for asthma treatment options