Our team includes orthopaedic surgeons who completed additional training (fellowships) in treating problems affecting the hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. You may also receive care from sports medicine physicians who use nonsurgical approaches to relieve pain. Our expertise helps you return to your favorite activities as quickly and safely as possible. Find out more about our Hand and Upper Extremity Division.
We are one of a few programs in western Pennsylvania capable of delivering complex treatments such as reconstructive surgery and hand therapy. These capabilities are one reason why professional sports teams, such as the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team and Pittsburgh Riverhounds soccer team, trust us to take care of their athletes.
We treat a broad range of conditions affecting your hands and upper extremities, which include:
Conditions we treat include:
At AHN, you have access to a wide range of treatments. We consider the diagnosis along with your preferences while developing a personalized care plan.
Your care may include:
- Bracing: Wearing a device (brace) helps you rest the affected area by limiting movement. We offer custom braces that hug the unique shape of your hand, wrist, or arm for maximum effectiveness.
- Medication: Medications may reduce inflammation and relieve pain. You may start feeling better with an over-the-counter medication, such as ibuprofen. If the pain is severe, you may need a prescription medication.
- Injections: Injecting medications directly into the problem area may help you feel better. Find out more about injections.
- Physical therapy: We guide you through exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your hand, wrist, shoulder, or elbow. Our team includes certified hand therapists who have additional training and years of experience in treating hand and upper extremity problems. Read more about orthopaedic physical therapy.
- Surgery: If other treatments are not successful, you may need surgery. We perform advanced procedures that bring lasting relief, including carpal tunnel release and nerve repair. Learn more about orthopaedic surgery.
- Preventive services: We offer many services, including strength training, to help you make a safe return to your favorite activities. If you’re an athlete whose sport includes throwing, such as baseball, softball, and football, our arm care program lowers your risk of future injuries. Read more about sports performance services.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN Orthopaedic services.