AHN Notice on Heater-Cooler Devices Used in Open Chest Cardiac Procedures
Allegheny General Hospital (AGH) and West Penn Hospital, part of Allegheny Health Network (AHN), have replaced a specific type of heater-cooler device used during open chest cardiac surgeries in response to an advisory issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding a potential risk associated with the technology. No cases of infection related to these devices have been identified at AGH or West Penn. Read more.
Your Heart is in Good Hands
Heart Surgery at Allegheny Health Network
The human heart is one of the most amazingly complex organs in our bodies. In our embryonic stage, it is the first organ to develop and begins beating about 22 days after conception. In ancient times, the heart was identified as the seat of all human emotions by the Greek and Roman Physician Galen.
Today, we understand the vast complexities of how the heart works and how to keep it working properly. In fact, the Cardiac Surgery Program at the Allegheny Health Network Cardiovascular Institute at Allegheny General Hospital In Pittsburgh and at Saint Vincent Hospital in Erie, PA is nationally recognized for pioneering some of the greatest medical advances for treating heart disease. Forged on decades of experience and ongoing training, our heart surgeons perform the simplest to the most complex heart and vascular procedures, including innovative minimally invasive techniques and advanced robotic procedures.
Why Choose The Cardiovascular Institute?
Heart Surgery is one of the most intensive procedures you can undergo. As one of the premier cardiovascular programs in the country, we not only provide superior care and innovative therapies, including many available through the latest clinical trials, we’re also dedicated to high-quality, compassionate care that can help you maintain and resume your healthy lifestyle.
We also offer these important considerations:
- For the last several decades, we’ve been among the best cardiac surgery programs in the United States, with surgeons who are forerunners in performing advanced surgery techniques and using novel devices to treat heart conditions.
- We utilize the most sophisticated diagnostic tools to detect cardiovascular disease quickly and accurately.
- We’re one of the few medical centers in the country performing robotically assisted, minimally invasive mitral valve repair surgery; we’ve pioneered a convergent procedure to treat AFib; and we’ve utilized ECMO to drastically improve survival rates of patients with cardiogenic shock or profound respiratory failure.
- Our heart transplant patient survival rates are the best in Pittsburgh and higher than the country’s national average.
- We’re the only American Heart Association-accredited Heart Attack Receiving Center in western Pennsylvania.
- Our comprehensive multidisciplinary and compassionate approach to cardiac care, illustrates teamwork and a caring commitment on every front, and ensures you are receiving an all-encompassing treatment plan that leads to a positive outcome.
- Our patient-centric environment allows our team to focus on you and your specific condition, symptoms, and circumstances, rather than treating every patient with the same approach.
Our cardiovascular surgery physicians and other medical professionals have many years of advanced training and extensive experience with many conditions and surgical procedures, including:
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Arrhythmia
- Heart Failure
- Heart Valve Disease
- Robotic Minimally Invasive Surgery