Heart Valve Disease: Why Choose Us?
Heart valves open and close with each heartbeat to keep blood flowing into and out of the heart’s four chambers. If you have heart valve disease, one or more of the valves isn’t working properly. This condition affects blood flow and can lead to heart failure and other serious problems.
The heart specialists at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Cardiovascular Institute are nationally renowned for treating all types of heart valve problems. We’re experts at minimally invasive surgeries for patients who can’t undergo open-heart procedures.
Types of heart valve disease
The different types of heart valve disease include:
- Regurgitation: An improperly closing heart valve allows blood to flow back into the heart. This condition may lead to arrhythmia, heart failure, or pulmonary hypertension.
- Stenosis: A heart valve narrows, causing your heart to work harder to pump blood. Stenosis increases your risk of heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, and arrhythmia.
Heart valve disease care at Allegheny Health Network: why choose us?
At one of the country’s leading heart valve disease programs, you benefit from:
- Minimally invasive procedures: We offer a complete suite of minimally invasive heart surgeries, including robotic heart surgery. We are a national leader in transcatheter aortic valve replacements (TAVR), performing a large volume every year. Learn more about TAVR.
- Advanced treatments: Our doctors specialize in minimally invasive procedures to repair or replace diseased heart valves. In addition to TAVR, we also offer MitraClip®. Learn more about heart valve surgery.
- Patient-focused care: Your customized treatment plan takes into consideration your specific condition, symptoms, and needs. We value your input into your care.
- Dedicated team of experts: We tap the expertise of various heart specialists to ensure that you receive an all-encompassing care plan that optimizes your results. Our team works with your referring physician to ensure that you receive seamless care that’s convenient for you.
- Leading cardiac care: AHN is the highest-rated health system in western Pennsylvania for patient safety in overall medical care, overall surgical care, heart attack treatment, heart failure treatment, and pulmonary care, according to the 2018 CareChex® quality rating system.*
*Number one in market claims are based on CareChex® 2018 Composite Quality Scores and Ratings™ for acute care hospitals serving the combined statistical area (CSA) of Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton. Source: 2018 CareChex, an information service of Quantros, Inc. January 2014 – June 2016