An organ transplant provides a renewed promise of a longer, fuller life. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Surgery Institute, we’ve seen thousands of people walk out of our doors to a new sense of what’s possible — all because of organ transplantation.
Our nationally recognized organ transplantation program provides patients with high-quality, compassionate transplant care. Our approach and focus on convenience makes the transplant process faster and easier.
Your transplant surgery will happen at Allegheny General Hospital on a floor dedicated to transplant care. That means every surgeon, nurse, social worker, and health professional who takes care of you has received extra training to provide for your needs before, during, and after transplant surgery.
Other highlights of our program include:
- Outstanding care quality: The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients gives our transplant program high marks for care quality and outcomes. Our heart transplant program ranks among the best in the U.S. — and No. 1 in Pennsylvania. Our heart, kidney, pancreas and liver transplant patients experience the best three-year survival rates in the region. Some of our surgeons have been performing transplant procedures for decades, which helps us offer you the highest quality of transplant care.
- Transplant expertise: Our transplant surgeons’ expertise allows them to successfully transplant organs into many different types of people. Our surgeons undergo five years of general surgery training with two more years of fellowship training that’s specific to transplant care. This intense training means they have the skills necessary to safely perform intricate transplant procedures.
- Care for complex cases: Our transplant surgeons successfully treat complex cases. Their expertise also allows them to transplant organs into sicker patients than other transplant centers in our region — with lifesaving results.
- Tailored approach: We don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to transplant care. We pay attention to the nuances of your health situation and what makes you unique. We then tailor the transplant process to your needs. This approach helps us match you with an organ that will give you the best chance at exceptional results.
- Convenience: When you come to our transplant clinic for an evaluation or follow-up care, you will meet with all members of your transplant team — in one place. Medical specialists (such as hepatologists or nephrologists), psychiatrists, and support professionals come to you, saving you the time and hassle of several appointments at different places.
- Streamlined transplant process: Every person who needs an organ transplant goes through a comprehensive evaluation that involves several tests and appointments. While this process is necessary to ensure your safety, it can be overwhelming. Our coordinator supports you through this process, helping you schedule testing and answering your questions.
Based at Allegheny General Hospital, we provide outstanding transplant care personalized to what makes you you. Transplant services we offer include:
On any given day, thousands of people across the U.S. wait for a donor kidney to become available. Living organ donation offers people the chance to become superheroes, providing another person the chance to pursue dreams that aren’t otherwise possible.
Our living kidney donation care team guides donors through the entire organ donation process. We use sophisticated robotic technology to make kidney donation surgery safer and support you before and after donor surgery. Learn more about kidney donation.
Our team actively pursues new and exciting ways to enhance the lives of our patients through organ transplantation. Here are a few examples:
- We are exploring how gene therapy and advanced imaging can help us prevent complications after heart transplant.
- Our liver surgeons are using stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) to help patients with liver cancer become eligible for a liver transplant.
Learn more about our transplant research.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN organ transplant services