Program objectives focus on AGH's three primary areas of excellence:
- Provide the resident with supervised patient contact and comprehensive teaching in order to achieve proficient, thoughtful, compassionate and high quality care in an environment that encourages practice-based learning and improvement.
- Encourage development of interpersonal and communication skills that enhance professional interaction with the broad scope of specialists, referring physicians or other professionals related to managing the patient’s care.
- Provide the resident with training in state-of-the-art radiation oncology, physics and radiation biology/cancer biology to enhance medical knowledge and through which professional expertise can be attained.
- Utilize opportunities in multi-disciplinary conferences for the resident to present patient cases in an open forum for critical review, discussion and resolution.
- Train the resident in the use of modern radiation therapy equipment, including Elekta Unity MRI linear accelerator, Elekta Versa HD linear accelerators, Gammapod and Gamma Knife® Icon that allows for frameless SRS treatment. We also have a robust gynecologic brachytherapy rotation at Western Pennsylvania Hospital.