Pregnancy and Newborn Services
Whether you’re hoping to add to your family or already expecting, it’s important to have medical experts who you know and trust by your side. The OB-GYN team at AHN provides the high-level, compassionate care you need. We help families get the best possible start on a lifelong, rewarding journey together.
Pregnancy services at Allegheny Health Network: Why choose us?
Families who choose AHN for pregnancy and newborn care benefit from:
- High quality care in a community setting: AHN provides the same high-quality care found at large university medical centers, but in a more intimate setting. Here, you deliver your baby in the convenience and security of the community that you call home.
- Experts you trust: At AHN, the physician delivering your baby is always someone who knows you and your pregnancy history. Your dedicated health care team listens to your concerns and works with you to provide the birth experience you desire.
- Support for medically challenging situations: If you need help conceiving, or if tests indicate that your unborn baby has a potential health problem, our fertility treatment and high-risk pregnancy specialists can help.
- Pregnancy and childbirth classes: Families can attend classes on a range of topics including childbirth, breast-feeding, infant care, and parenting. Learn more about our classes and how to register.
- Help for depression: Our women’s behavioral health specialists treat mood and anxiety disorders that often affect women during or after pregnancy, during fertility treatments, or after a pregnancy loss.
- Help with addiction: AHN’s Perinatal Hope Program provides personalized treatment and support for pregnant women and new moms who are struggling with a substance use disorder.
Know what to expect during pregnancy
Whether you’re a first-time mom-to-be or getting ready to welcome a little brother or sister to the world, you probably have questions. Check out our guide to help you through each trimester and beyond.
We provide childbirth services at four of our hospitals:
The labor and delivery suites at most AHN hospitals allow families to remain in the same comfortable, private room throughout the birth experience. In addition, your AHN hospital may offer:
- Nurse midwife services for pregnancy, childbirth, and well-woman care.
- Whirlpool tubs in labor and delivery suites to alleviate labor pains.
- Dedicated C-section rooms equipped with the latest technology.
- Delayed umbilical cord clamping to ensure your baby receives immunity-boosting blood.
- Ability to donate umbilical cord blood (you must arrange for this service before delivery).
- Breastfeeding support to help new moms get started with breastfeeding and pumping.
- Skin-to-skin or kangaroo care to soothe your baby and promote bonding.
Advanced services for newborns
Our comprehensive medical services for newborns with special medical needs include:
- Care for critically ill newborns: Our Level 3 neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) at West Penn and Saint Vincent hospitals provide high-level medical care for premature and critically ill babies. Our level 2 NICUs at Forbes and Jefferson hospitals care for infants who have medical needs but are not critically ill. Learn more about our NICUs.
- Infant Apnea Program: Experts from our Infant Apnea Program care for babies who have breathing problems and need care or monitoring once they’re home from the hospital.
Choosing a doctor for your baby
After you deliver your baby, you will need to select a pediatrician or family practitioner for your little one’s check-ups and ongoing care. Our team at AHN Pediatrics offers comprehensive care for newborns all the way through age 21 at locations across the Pittsburgh area.
Perinatal palliative care
If you’ve received the heartbreaking news that your child has a life-limiting condition and may not survive long after birth, know that AHN will help guide and support you every step of the way. Learn more about all the perinatal palliative care resources available to you.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN pregnancy and newborn services