Breast milk is chock-full of good nutrients for your baby and confers many health benefits. Breast-feeding has health benefits for moms, too, and promotes mother-infant bonding. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN), our team of breast-feeding experts, called lactation consultants, work with pregnant women and new moms to ensure breast-feeding success.
Breast-feeding support at Allegheny Health Network: Why choose us?
At AHN, breast-feeding moms benefit from:
- One-on-one care: To help you and your baby get off to a great start, a lactation consultant meets privately with you before discharge to answer questions and make sure breastfeeding is going well. Should you need more assistance after discharge, help is only a phone call or office visit away.
- Experience: Our lactation consultants are nurses who are board-certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. We have extensive experience helping moms master breast-feeding and overcoming any issues.
- Education and support: We offer a variety of support services for breast-feeding moms, including:
- Breast-feeding classes: Moms-to-be and new moms can participate in classes led by lactation consultants. Learn more about our pregnancy and childbirth classes.
- Phone consultations: Lactation consultants from West Penn Hospital are available to answer your questions. Please call (412) 578-7030. If we miss you, please leave a message and we will return the call as soon as possible.
- Support groups: West Penn Hospital lactation consultants host free weekly support groups for breastfeeding moms. For more information or to register call (412) 578-7030.
Breast pumps and supplies at AHN
Most health insurance companies provide new moms with breast pumps. Our on-site medical equipment representatives work with your insurance provider to supply you with a breast pump before you and your baby leave the hospital.
We also offer:
- Retail lactation center: The West Penn Hospital retail store has hospital-grade breast pumps available to rent, as well as nursing bras, pillows, and accessories.
- Bra fittings: Many of our lactation consultants are also certified bra fitters. We can meet with you in the hospital or after discharge to determine your bra size and ensure a proper, comfortable fit and we have many nursing and hands-free bra options available for purchase.
Additional breastfeeding and lactation resources
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN pregnancy and newborn services.