All applications must be completed and submitted using the Electronic Residency Application Service® (ERAS®). Our General Surgery Residency Program Office will not accept paper applications. The deadline for applying to our General Surgery Residency Program is Dec. 1.
All of the following must be received by our General Surgery Residency Program Office for your application to be considered complete:
- Completed application from ERAS
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Official medical school transcript
- Dean's letter
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be general surgery)
- USMLE Board scores, including Step 1 and Step 2 (both CK and CS). USMLE scores less than 220 (Step 1) and 240 (Step 2) generally will not be invited for an interview.
- Note: Any applicant who has not passed United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 AND Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge [CK] and Clinical Skills [CS]) by the time the rank list is due will not be considered for ranking.
For Osteopathic medical school graduates:
- Must take USMLE Step 2 in addition to COMLEX Level 1 and 2. We will base interview invitations on Step 2 scores as noted above. USMLE Step 1 is not required for osteopathic students.
For Foreign medical school graduates:
- Submit with the application a copy of current and valid ECFMG certification (there is no minimum required score)
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals in the United States
- Hold a J-1 visa - we do not sponsor the H-1B visa
Contact the Graduate Medical Education Office at (412) 359-3166 - with any questions.
Our Admissions Committee reviews applications and applies the specific criteria that we use for granting interviews.
Personal interviews are by invitation only and are required for acceptance to our program.