We strongly support and offer a variety of resources for resident research:
- Residents have the opportunity to partake in nationally conducted cancer research protocols at our hospitals, including those of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP), whose office is located near Allegheny General Hospital.
- A variety of laboratory research projects/opportunities are available through our research arm, the Allegheny-Singer Research Institute.
- Our residents may choose to extend their residency by spending one to three years in research after the PGY 2 or 3 year. The research area can be either basic or clinical and may be conducted at AGH or another location.
- In addition to an optional research year, general surgery residents are required to do research with a faculty mentor throughout the course of their residency and to present their work on Resident Research Day each spring.
- To aid in research, we have a research associate who is dedicated to facilitating General Surgery Residency research