Cerebrovascular and Stroke Care
Cerebrovascular diseases such as ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attack, intracerebral hemorrhage, and subarachnoid hemorrhage affect how blood flows to (and in) the brain. While these conditions can have life-altering effects, advanced stroke therapies give people greater potential for recovery.
People with complex cerebrovascular conditions need expert care – sometimes urgently. You’ll find prompt, personalized care at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Neuroscience Institute. Our network of stroke care facilities, which includes the first Comprehensive Stroke Center in Pennsylvania, provides the effective treatment you need, precisely when you need it.
Cerebrovascular and stroke care at Allegheny Health Network: why choose us?
People seeking cerebrovascular care at AHN benefit from our:
- Expertise: Our network of stroke centers includes the Comprehensive Stroke Center at Allegheny General Hospital, the highest distinction of stroke care awarded by the Joint Commission. Allegheny General Hospital was one of the first medical centers in the country to earn this designation, recognizing our commitment to advanced stroke care.
- Urgent stroke care capabilities: Our acute stroke response team uses telestroke consultations to support physicians treating acute stroke in local community hospitals throughout western Pennsylvania. With this telemedicine technology and training, our neurologists can provide immediate assessments and treatment plans for patients with complex needs.
- Experience: AHN’s highly skilled team has extensive experience performing advanced stroke therapy, caring for more than 2,500 patients with cerebrovascular conditions each year. We take care of patients requiring intricate treatments related to ischemic stroke or other conditions causing brain hemorrhage.
- Team approach: Our neurologists, neurosurgeons, and interventional radiologists work together to coordinate your personalized treatment plan. This team effort improves the chances of a full recovery while decreasing neurological disability.
- Comprehensive follow-up: Our stroke care team manages people disabled by a stroke, improving the level of follow-up care that patients receive after hospitalization. We support our patients during their recovery, whether they return home with home care services or receive continued care at acute rehab facilities or skilled nursing facilities.
- Coordinated care:We coordinate your care at every point, from the onset of a stroke through recovery. A unified electronic health record system and a patient portal called MyChart allow you to access your medical records, view test results, and communicate with your physicians about any concerns.
- Focus on stroke research: : You may be able to participate in clinical trials studying the treatment and prevention of cerebrovascular conditions. These trials give you access to some of the latest therapies related to brain hemorrhage and stroke care.
Cerebrovascular and stroke conditions we treat
Our team evaluates and manages patients with a wide range of cerebrovascular conditions, including:
- Arteriovenous malformation
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Brain aneurysm
- Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
Get expert cerebrovascular and stroke treatment at Allegheny Health Network
AHN offers a high level of stroke care throughout our coordinated system of stroke centers in western Pennsylvania. These centers have received special designations from the Joint Commission, recognizing the focused, expert care patients receive.
AHN’s stroke care is led by a team of board-certified neurologists, vascular neurosurgeons, and neuro-interventionalists who have expertise in stroke. Our hospitals use the latest technologies and therapies to diagnose and manage patients with complex stroke and other cerebrovascular conditions.
Find out more about the innovative therapies and skilled cerebrovascular teams at our facilities.
Comprehensive Stroke Center at:
Primary Stroke Centers at: