When you have heart failure, your weakened heart cannot pump enough blood and oxygen to your organs. You may be short of breath, retain fluid, or feel unusually tired. This condition can make everyday activities like walking and climbing stairs more difficult.
While there isn’t a cure for this progressive disease, you can enjoy a better quality of life with advanced treatments available at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Cardiovascular Institute.
Our specialized heart failure program helps you experience a longer, more active life. We offer:
- Leading experts: Our board-certified physicians honed their skills alongside world-renowned heart specialists, while completing residencies and fellowships at the country’s top-tier heart programs. We offer this expertise at AHN to help you achieve the best possible results, closer to home.
- Advanced treatments: At AHN, you have access to the latest heart failure diagnosis and treatment options including therapies and devices still in the clinical trial phase. We also offer cardiovascular rehabilitation to promote strength and mobility.
- Home heart monitoring: The CardioMEMS™ implantable device allows us to monitor your heart health remotely, as you go about daily life. Daily readings alert our team to signs of heart failure before symptoms start, allowing us to adjust treatments quickly to prevent problems.
- Heart failure clinic: Our 360-Degrees of Care Program greatly reduces your risk of hospital readmission by facilitating your transition from hospital to home or care facility. A nurse navigator coordinates your home health care services. Learn more about the AHN Heart Failure Clinic.
- Personalized focus: Your health concerns are our number one priority. Our team of heart specialists works together to develop a treatment plan that addresses your unique health needs. Our goal is to make your care as stress-free as possible.
The following AHN hospitals have earned gold status in the American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines®-Heart Failure certification program:
- Allegheny General
- Allegheny Valley
- St. Vincent
Learn more about the Cardiovascular Institute.
There isn’t a cure for heart failure. However, doctors at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Cardiovascular Institute are committed to protecting your heart from further damage and minimizing symptoms, so you can enjoy life more fully.
Our specialists use the most advanced imaging methods and diagnostic tools to determine the cause, severity, and nature of your heart condition. We offer dedicated care at the AHN Heart Failure Clinic.
Your physician may order heart testing, heart imaging, or both these diagnostic procedures.
Depending on the severity of your condition, your doctor may recommend one or more of the following:
Certain medications can relieve symptoms, improve heart function, and slow disease progression. Our team of clinical pharmacists has advanced training in cardiology and works with you to manage medications. When appropriate, you may participate in clinical trials to receive the latest medication treatment for heart failure. Learn more about the Cardiovascular Research Institute.
Heart support devices
- Mechanical circulatory support: As your heart weakens, you may need a ventricular assist device (VAD), an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), or other type of mechanical circulatory support to help your heart function.
- Artificial heart: Our surgeons helped pioneer the use of the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart. This device works similarly to a heart transplant, replacing failing heart ventricles and heart valves.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO): This machine pumps your blood outside of your body, oxygenates it, and then returns oxygenated blood back to you. Learn more about ECMO
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN cardiovascular services.