An abnormal heartbeat, or arrhythmia, causes your heart to beat out of rhythm. This problem increases your risk of heart failure and stroke.
The Electrophysiology (EP) Program at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Cardiovascular Institute relies on the most up-to-date technology to pinpoint the cause of your arrhythmia. This critical information guides our team of heart rhythm specialists as they develop the most effective treatment plan for your unique heart problem.
Here, you undergo highly specialized diagnostic procedures and receive advanced treatments in our sophisticated EP labs. Our specialists offer:
- Depth of expertise: You receive care from some of the most experienced heart rhythm specialists, or electrophysiologists, in western Pennsylvania. Our team performs more than 6,000 EP procedures every year.
- Care for a range of problems: We diagnose and treat all types of arrhythmias, from common to the complex. We’re experts at providing care to patients who haven’t had success with other treatments. When appropriate, you may choose to participate in clinical trials for new therapies or devices via the Cardiovascular Research Institute.
- Low radiation tests: We were the first center in western Pennsylvania to perform certain EP procedures using low-radiation, high-resolution digital images instead of X-rays. This process minimizes your exposure to radiation.
- Partnerships with referring physicians: We work with your referring physician to ensure that you receive seamless care, from diagnosis to ongoing treatment and management. Our goal is to get you back to seeing your community doctor and enjoying life. Learn more about the Cardiovascular Institute.
- Convenience: We know you’re uneasy about your heart problem, so we get you in to see our specialists quickly. We’re among a select few programs in western Pennsylvania offering highly specialized evaluation and treatment all in one centralized location.
Our specialists perform a variety of diagnostic procedures in our technologically advanced EP labs. Your physician uses this equipment to examine your heart’s electrical functions and pinpoint the cause of your symptoms.
Our diagnostic tests include:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG/ECG): This device records your heart’s electrical activity, revealing a regular or irregular heartbeat.
- EP study: During an EP study, your doctor uses long wires (catheters) to stimulate and record your heart’s electrical activity and pinpoint problem areas.
- Holter monitor: This wearable EKG device continuously records your heart’s electrical activity.
- Implantable loop recorder: This surgically implanted device continually records your heart’s electrical activity as you go about daily life. Your doctor uses special equipment to download information from the recorder.
- Tilt-table test: Your doctor uses positional table changes to measure your blood pressure and heart rate responses.
Our heart rhythm specialists perform leading-edge procedures that require a high level of training and expertise. In our advanced hybrid operating rooms, electrophysiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons work side-by-side for a highly collaborative approach to cardiac care.
We offer a complete range of arrhythmia treatments, including medication management, ablations, and device implants. Learn more about these treatments and heart arrhythmia.
Our electrophysiologists also perform:
- Permanent His-bundle pacing (PHBP): Our doctors are among a select few in the region with the expertise to perform PHBP for patients with heart failure and bundle branch block. During this procedure, your doctor positions pacemaker leads, or wires, directly into a group of heart muscle cells known as the bundle of His. The device simultaneously synchronizes your heart’s right and left ventricles.
- Lead extractions: We’re experts at removing pacemaker leads, or wires, that malfunction or cause a blockage, infection, or scar tissue buildup.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN cardiovascular services.