The Hand and Upper Extremity Division of the AHN Orthopaedic Institute is home to orthopaedic surgeons with additional training (fellowships) in hand surgery. Our skill is not limited to hands: We treat the whole upper extremity, including the wrist, arm, elbow, and shoulder. Our care consistently helps people with problems, including injuries and arthritis, live a better quality of life.
Highlights of our program include:
- Exceptional care: AHN successfully treats some of the most complex problems in western Pennsylvania. For example, our surgeons have performed innovative nerve transfer surgeries to help people regain lost movement.
- Uncommon expertise: Our hand surgery team specializes in treating conditions affecting the brachial plexus, a bundle of nerves that controls arm sensation and movement. We are researching how to help people recover faster and regain more of their function. Find out more about the Center for Brachial Plexus Injuries.
- Nonsurgical treatments: If you have arthritis, you may feel better with physical therapy. Our team includes certified hand therapists who use exercises and custom braces to relieve pain. Learn more about physical therapy.
- Commitment to research: Our experts are improving care for serious problems, such as tendon tears. We are researching how surgically repairing a tendon instead of letting it heal on its own leads to less pain and an earlier return to activities.
- Leaders in the field: Our physicians speak at national conferences to share research findings with other hand surgeons. We are also training the next generation of hand surgeons by publishing research and running a hand surgery fellowship program.