Living kidney donors make it possible for people with late-stage kidney disease to have a second chance at life. Organs from living donors offer better (and often longer-lasting) benefits compared with organs from deceased donors. If you want to learn more about how to donate a kidney, we can help.
At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Surgery Institute, our living kidney donor program focuses on you. We’re here to answer your questions and support you at every step in the kidney donation process — even after donor surgery.
Our living kidney donor specialists are committed to your health and safety. They offer medical expertise with compassion that prioritizes your physical, mental, and emotional health throughout the donor process.
Highlights of our program include:
- Less invasive donor surgery: We are the only transplant center in the region to use advanced robotic technology during kidney donor surgery. Our surgeons make a tiny incision and use the robot to guide their movements. This less invasive approach makes the procedure safer for donors and helps them experience easier recoveries.
- Surgical expertise: Our surgeons have been performing successful donor surgeries on men and women of different ages since 1987. Our transplant surgeons are board-certified and fellowship-trained, which means they have gone through years of intense training to safely perform complex donor and transplant procedures.
- Outstanding care quality: We have received national distinction for our innovative living donor care, including awards from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). We also earned the Excellence in Teamwork award from the National Kidney Registry for our innovative approach to finding prospective living kidney donors.
- Donor registry participation: We are a proud member of the National Kidney Registry (NKR), the largest living donor pool in the world. By participating in this registry, we pair more donors with suitable transplant recipients through paired donation. This process helps more people benefit from life-changing kidney transplant surgery.
- Personal attention: We understand what a selfless act kidney donation is. We have two coordinators devoted exclusively to guiding donors through the kidney donation process. Our donors also have private rooms during their hospital stay. We want you to feel confident in your care at all times, and we’re committed to ensuring your experience is as positive as possible.
Take the first step to become a kidney donor by filling out our online screening.
Evolving science means you could be a match for someone of a different race, gender, or blood type. At our Surgery Institute, we thoroughly evaluate your mental and physical health to make sure donor surgery won’t expose you to unnecessary risks.
If you meet the kidney donation requirements, our team will be by your side through the entire process. And our comprehensive follow-up care involves monitoring your health in the days and weeks after your surgery.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment learn more about AHN kidney donation services.