In 2018, the Women and Infants Center at AHN West Penn Hospital became the first in southwestern PA to win the Care Award. This award is given jointly by the International Board of Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA) in recognition of the highest level of support to breast-feeding families and hospital staff. AHN’s Jefferson and Forbes Hospital also won this award for breast-feeding support excellence.
The Care Award is valid for 2 years, and the current list of awardees can be found here.
The benefits of award-winning lactation care and support include:
- One-on-one care: To help you and your baby get off to a great start, a lactation consultant can speak or meet privately with you before you have your baby to help you both get off to a great start. A lactation consultant will also meet with you in the hospital after delivery to answer questions and make sure breastfeeding is going well. Should you need more assistance after discharge, help is only a phone call or office visit away.
- Experience: Our lactation consultants are nurses who are board-certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. We have extensive experience helping moms master breast-feeding and overcoming any issues.
- Education and support: We offer a variety of support services for breast-feeding moms, including:
- Breast-feeding classes: Moms-to-be and new moms can participate in classes led by lactation consultants. Learn more about our pregnancy and childbirth classes.
- Phone consultations: Lactation Consultants at both West Penn and AHN Jefferson Hospitals are available to answer your questions. To reach a consultant at West Penn call (412) 578-7030. To reach a consultant at AHN Jefferson call (412) 469-5475. If we miss you please leave a message and we will return the call as soon as possible.
- Support groups: Lactation consultants at both West Penn and AHN Jefferson Hospitals host free weekly support groups for breastfeeding moms. For more information or to register at West Penn call (412) 578-7030 and at AHN Jefferson call (412) 469-5475.