Breast milk is chock-full of good nutrients for your baby and confers many health benefits. Breast-feeding has health benefits for moms, too, and promotes mother-infant bonding. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN), our team of breast-feeding experts, called lactation consultants, work with pregnant women and new moms to ensure breast-feeding success.
Breast-feeding support at Allegheny Health Network: Why choose us?
At AHN, breast-feeding moms benefit from:
- One-on-one care: To help you and your baby get off to a great start, a lactation consultant meets privately with you soon after delivery and daily throughout your hospital stay. We’re here to answer questions and ensure proper latching and technique. Should you need more assistance after discharge, help is only a phone call or office visit away. Learn more about the health benefits of breast-feeding your baby.
- Experience: Our lactation consultants are nurses who are board-certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. We have extensive experience helping moms master breast-feeding and overcoming any issues. Meet our team.
- Education and support: We offer a variety of support services for breast-feeding moms, including:
- Breast-feeding classes: Moms-to-be and new moms can participate in classes led by lactation consultants. Learn more about our pregnancy and childbirth classes.
- Phone consultations: A lactation consultant from West Penn Hospital is available from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. to answer your questions. Please call (412) 578-7030. If we miss you, please leave a message and we will return the call.
- Support groups: West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh and Saint Vincent Hospital in Erie host free weekly support groups for breast-feeding moms.
Breast pumps and supplies at AHN
Most health insurance companies provide new moms with breast pumps. Our on-site medical equipment representatives work with your insurance provider to supply you with a breast pump before you and your baby leave the hospital.
We also offer:
- Retail lactation center: Our retail stores have hospital-grade breast pumps available to rent, as well as nursing bras, nursing pillows, and breast-feeding books.
- Bra fittings: Many of our lactation consultants are also certified bra fitters. We can meet with you in the hospital or after discharge to determine your new bra size and ensure a proper, more comfortable fit.
Additional breastfeeding and lactation resources
- The links below can provide more Information on breastfeeding and lactation services.
- Breast-feeding After Breast and Nipple Surgeries offers support and advice on breast-feeding after breast and nipple surgeries.
- Breast-feeding.com is a great site for a variety of breast-feeding topics and concerns.
- Renowned Canadian Pediatrician, Dr. Jack Newman offers expert information and guidance on a variety of breast-feeding topics. The website also includes great video links and downloadable handouts.
- Kellymom.com provides evidence based information on breast-feeding and parenting.
- La Leche League International provides evidence based information on a wide range of breast-feeding topics and concerns on their website.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN pregnancy and newborn services.