You and your family members can attend classes at West Penn, Forbes Regional, Jefferson, and Saint Vincent hospitals.
Here’s a look at some of the classes we offer:
- Childbirth: Learn about the signs and stages of labor, non-medical comfort measures, and breathing techniques, as well as anesthesia options and what to expect at the hospital when you arrive in labor. We also cover postpartum recovery and emotions.
- Breast-feeding: Learn about recommendations and techniques for managing the early weeks as a breastfeeding family. Topics include getting breastfeeding off to the best start after delivery, hands-on practice with a baby doll for positioning and latch, as well as resources to help you meet your breastfeeding goals. This class is taught by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC).
- Newborn care: This course focuses on building confidence for expectant parents or caregivers in caring for a new baby including normal infant behaviors, current health and safety recommendations, and an opportunity for hands-on practice with a baby doll for bathing, diaper changing, and swaddling.
- Infant and child safety: Learn how to perform CPR on an infant and child, as well as what to do if an infant or child chokes. You’ll also learn baby proofing and car seat safety tips, as well as safe sleep tips to lower the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Sibling preparation: Siblings get a hands-on opportunity to hold and rock a baby (doll), as well as change a diaper. The class focuses on safety and addresses common emotions siblings may experience when a baby joins the family.