This program offers evaluation and counseling for couples who are pregnant or planning a pregnancy and have a family history of birth defects, genetic disorders, intrauterine exposures, multiple miscarriages, or advanced maternal age. Professionally trained personnel assist individuals, couples, and families to understand genetic conditions or birth defects.
These professionals can also help in finding medical services and community aid for affected individuals and their families. Individuals and/or families who would benefit from genetic counseling include:
- Parents of a child with a genetic disorder, birth defect or chromosome abnormality
- Couples who have experienced repeated pregnancy loss
- Women who have been exposed to medications, drugs, radiation or other environmental agents
- Individuals with a family history of a birth defect, developmental delay or genetic condition
- Couples with advanced maternal or paternal age
- Members of certain ethnic groups at increased risk for genetic disorders (i.e. those of Eastern European Jewish, Italian, Greek, African-American or Caucasian descent) or a couple in which the partners are related to each other
- Individuals interested in prenatal diagnosis including those with positive screening
The following services are also provided:
- Amniocentesis (second trimester)
- Chorionic villus sampling (first trimester)
- Fetal ultrasound evaluation (basic and targeted)
- Maternal serum screening and cytogenetic studies
Allegheny Health Network is staffed with a physician who is board-certified in obstetrics/gynecology and clinical genetics, as well as board-certified genetic counselors. Five perinatologists (specialists in maternal-fetal medicine) are available to patients for consultation for general genetic issues and to provide guidance in cases of discovered birth defects. Timing and the route of delivery can be discussed and members of the neonatology staff can address neonatal issues.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN pregnancy and newborn services.