Hospitalists at Saint Vincent Hospital
Hospitalists are physicians whose primary professional focus is the general medical care of hospitalized patients. Their activities include patient care, teaching, research, and leadership related to Hospital medicine.
The hospitalists at Saint Vincent typically spend most or all of their work day in the hospital. Therefore, they are more readily available to a patient than a physician who spends the day outside the office in an office or clinic setting.
Patients may first encounter hospitalists in the Emergency Department during their visit and upon admission to the hospital, will see the hospitalists each day during their stay.
Each of our hospitalists is board-certified in internal medicine and provides a variety of services:
- Coordinates and adjusts treatment with acute care doctors and other specialists, as well as nurses and case managers
- Participates in the care of surgical patients with complicated medical problems
- Promptly orders and interprets tests when an emergency situation arises
- Manages many medical problems including hypertension, diabetes and conditions related to congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease
- Explains procedures, test results and other care issues to you and your family
- Develops a plan of care to ensure that you will have a smooth transition for your return home
- Exchanges information with and provides updates to your PCP
If you have questions regarding the hospitalist program at Saint Vincent, please call 814.452.SVMG (7864).