Behan Health Science Library
The Behan Health Science Library is intended for use by the medical staff, employees, and affiliated students of Jefferson Hospital. The library supports Jefferson's mission and vision by optimizing access to current healthcare information and facilitating the delivery of enlightened health care to our patients.
Location and Contact Information
The Library is located on the second floor of Jefferson Hospital. Contact the Medical Staff office for Access.
Sources and Services
The library features a permanent collection of reference books and journals. The following services are available to assist users in their research.
- Interlibrary Loan. The library can obtain reference sources through the National Network of Medical Libraries. Photocopies are provided.
- Internet Service. Information searches of Internet resources are available upon request.
- Photocopy and Fax Services. Copies of materials are provided upon request. Borrowing original references is discouraged.
- Table of Contents Service. The contents pages of selected journals can be photocopied upon request.
- Medical Journals
Benefits of an On-Site Library
According to a survey of physicians conducted by the Medical Library Association of America,
- 99 percent said that the information obtained from the library had clinical value and enabled them to make better-informed decisions.
- 96 percent said the information provided new knowledge.
- 95 percent felt that the information enabled them to provide a higher quality of medical care for their patients.
In addition, there are precedents for malpractice suits when literature searches were not obtained to guide physicians in diagnosing and treating their patients.
As a part of the Chronic Pain Information Service at Jefferson Hospital, the Behan Health Science Library has made available a collection of library pathfinders to serve the reader in locating information and reference materials for specific pain management topics.