The Cancer Institute is renowned for sophisticated, rapid treatment of uterine cancer. Our treatment plans use:
- Advanced technology: Our specialists use minimally invasive techniques, like robotic surgery, which means a quicker recovery time.
- Access to clinical trials: Our team evaluates your case every month to determine if there are new clinical trials that may be appropriate for you. We are able to make rapid recommendations for the best and latest treatment options, designed for you.
- Care for the whole person: We understand that cancer involves emotional healing, too. That’s why we have a Navigation Team to help you coordinate logistics and to answer all of your questions. We also have an oncology social worker who can provide devoted emotional support to patients and families. An After Hours Oncology Clinic provides medical support, day or night. And our robust support services help you live the best quality of life during treatment. Cancer doesn’t take time off, and neither do we.
Often, we can treat uterine cancer using chemotherapy, robotic surgery, or radiation therapy. Our goal is to treat the cancer in the most minimally invasive, effective way possible.
Treatment options for uterine cancer include:
- Chemotherapy: These medicines directly kill cancer cells, much like antibiotics kill bacteria. Because these medicines can damage normal cells, side effects can occur. They might include hair loss, nausea, or lowered blood counts. Fortunately, the body’s normal cells are more resilient and recover much better than cancer cells, so the side effects are usually temporary. We monitor you carefully and calculate your dose of chemotherapy to maximize effectiveness and minimize side effects. Our oncology social workers and Navigation Team are available to answer questions and provide support.
- Robotic surgery: Sometimes, we may need to perform a hysterectomy, or surgery to remove the uterus. We use a sophisticated robotic surgical system that enables surgeons to make delicate incisions and access hard-to-reach areas. It is less invasive than traditional surgery, resulting in a quicker recovery time.
- Radiation therapy: Our radiation oncology specialists are specifically trained in gynecology, so they’re adept at treating uterine cancer powerfully and efficiently. Our radiation oncology network is the only one in western Pennsylvania accredited by both the American Society for Radiation Oncology and American College of Radiology. These accreditations mean that the Cancer Institute meets specific guidelines for patient safety, quality control, and efficiency of equipment.
- Clinical trials: Our oncology team meets monthly to discuss the newest clinical trials, ensuring you have access to the latest treatment options.
Treatments for uterine cancer can affect your ability to conceive and carry a child. If you wish to preserve your fertility, your oncology team can connect you with AHN’s fertility treatment specialists and high-risk pregnancy doctors.
Fertility-sparing treatment options at AHN include:
- Egg banking: Freezing (cryopreservation) of unfertilized eggs for later use in conception
- Embryo banking: Freezing (cryopreservation) of fertilized embryos for later use in conception
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN cancer services.