At the CDEH, you have access to several types of specialists in one place, each with experience and training in diabetes care. When you choose us for diabetes care, you’ll also benefit from our:
- Expertise: Our board-certified endocrinologists have many years of experience diagnosing and treating the most complex cases of diabetes. We care for patients who have diabetes-related complications and have a long track record of helping patients improve diabetes control and their health.
- Wide-ranging support: Whether you recently received a diabetes diagnosis or have been managing the condition for years, we can help. Our compassionate team members provide the tools you need (such as insulin pump training and one-on-one nutrition guidance) to control your blood sugar and self-manage diabetes. Read more about living well with diabetes.
- Education tailored to you: When you know more about diabetes, you can play an active part in your care. Our certified diabetes educators offer many opportunities to learn about diabetes management in one-on-one and group formats. We know there’s a lot to learn, and it can feel like a lot. We’ll tell you what you need to know to address your needs now, and build on what you’ve learned as your needs change.
- Weight loss guidance: If you have type 2 diabetes, your physician may recommend a change in your eating patterns to better control your blood sugar levels. Our Bariatric and Metabolic Institute based at West Penn Hospital offers treatments for obesity — with or without surgery. Learn more about diabetes and weight.
- Team-based care: Depending on your needs, you may see a pharmacist, certified diabetes educator, behavioral health specialist, or social worker. These providers work together to address the different ways diabetes can impact your health and life.
- Primary care support program: Most people receive at least some of their diabetes care from their primary physician. Our endocrinology team works closely with primary care physicians throughout the region. This program helps your doctor use the best tools to help you manage and live well with diabetes.
- Convenience: When you are newly diagnosed with diabetes, you’ll meet with our entire team of specialists, in one visit. Then our team follows up with you over the phone (first weekly, then less often) to check in on your progress. This unique approach provides you a high level of care with less disruption to your life for unnecessary follow-up appointments.