Hospitalists at AVH
At Allegheny Valley Hospital we have Night House Officers who are physicians whose primary professional focus is the general medical care of hospitalized patients during the night hours. They are more readily available to a patient and nursing staff during the night hours than a physician who spent the day outside the office, in an office or clinic setting and is off hours for the night.
Patients may first encounter our Night House Officers during an overnight stay in the hospital. Each of our Night House Officers is board-certified in internal medicine and provides a variety of services:
· Coordinates and adjusts treatment with acute care doctors and other specialists, as well as nurses and case managers
· Participates in the care of surgical patients with complicated medical problems
· Promptly orders and interprets tests when an emergency situation arises
· Manages many medical problems including hypertension, diabetes and conditions related to congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease
· Explains procedures, test results and other care issues to you and your family
· Develops a plan of care to ensure that you will have a smooth transition for your return home
· Exchanges information with and provides updates to your PCP
If you have questions regarding the Night House Officer program at Allegheny Valley Hospital please call 724.224.5100.