At the Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Neuroscience Institute, we understand how debilitating a spine or back condition can be. Going about your normal routine can be as challenging as running a marathon. At AHN, our spine experts are uniquely qualified to help you get back to your everyday life.
AHN neurosurgeons are leaders in their field and have pioneered the use of revolutionary equipment, such as:
- Sophisticated imaging systems
- The latest surgical instruments, including the Mazor X surgical robot
- Development of minimally invasive techniques for quicker recovery
At the Spine Center, we specialize in the use of groundbreaking methods and innovative technology. We can treat a wide variety of spine and back conditions surgically or through medication, physical therapy, or chiropractic medicine including:
- Degenerative spine conditions
- Spine problems relating to traumatic events
- Spine tumors and diseases of the spine caused by cancer cells that spread from other areas of the body
We also offer services to help you manage:
- Pain caused by chronic conditions, injury, or pregnancy
- Spasticity, a movement disorder caused by cerebral palsy, a stroke, or an accident
If you have one of these conditions or are otherwise experiencing discomfort, make an appointment with an AHN spine specialist. Call (412) DOCTORS today.
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated discs
- Pinched nerve
- Vascular malformations
Our unique approach to healthcare
At the AHN Neuroscience Institute, you will receive personalized, compassionate care from a team of specialists from different areas of expertise. They work together to evaluate your condition and decide on a treatment that will provide the best possible outcome. According to your circumstances, they will consider more conservative, non-surgical options. By meeting regularly to discuss your situation, they are able to avoid repeated tests, which can save you time and money. Depending on your condition, your care team will include:
- Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Pain management specialists
- Physical therapists
- Physician Assistants
Groundbreaking surgical techniques
If your care team recommends surgery, you will have access to nationally renowned neurosurgeons and leading-edge technologies. AHN neurosurgeons perform thousands of spinal surgeries each year with exceptional outcomes. They are pioneers in the use of groundbreaking techniques, including:
- Mazor X robotics technology AHN is the only hospital network in western Pennsylvania with access to this instrument.
- Minimally invasive procedures which allows for quicker and improved recovery.
- Decompression of the spine through image-guided and robotic surgeries. This allows for greater precision and a quicker recovery.
- Intrathecal Baclofen therapy to treat spinal cord injury or disease. A programmable pump is surgically implanted to deliver medication to relieve severe spasticity.
- Spinal cord stimulation for neurosurgery pain management.
Minimally invasive for a quick return to action
At the AHN Neuroscience Institute, whenever possible, we use minimally invasive surgical techniques to treat a variety of spinal conditions. With the help of sophisticated technology, we can remove tumors and repair discs through extremely small incisions. Among the many benefits, minimally invasive procedures:
- Are less painful than traditional surgery
- Allow for faster recoveries
- Leave little or no scarring