Active Clinical Trials
AB, D5881C00004, STRENGTH: A Long-Term Outcomes Study to Assess STatin Residual Risk Reduction with EpaNova in HiGh Cardiovascular Risk PatienTs with Hypertriglyceridemia
The study is a randomized, double-blind, well-controlled (corn oil), parallel group design that will enroll approximately 13,000 patients with hypertriglyceridemia and high risk for CVD to be randomized 1:1 to either corn oil + statin or Epanova + statin, once daily, for approximately 3-5 years as determined when the number of MACE outcomes is reached.
Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and older
Genders Eligible for Study: Both
Accepts Healthy Volunteers: No
- Men or women, ≥18 years of age.
- Patient must be on a stable diet and statin* therapy at least 4 weeks prior to randomization (Visit 2) and meet the following criteria:
- LDL-C <100 mg/dL
- TG level≥ 200 and < 500 mg/dL and HDL-C < 40 mg/dL for men or HDL-C < 45 mg/dL for women
- Patient is at high risk for a future cardiovascular event if at least one of the following criteria (3a, 3b or 3c)* is present via patient history, physical exam, or medical records at the time of screening:
- Any atherosclerotic CVD as defined in protocol.
- History of diabetes mellitus (type 1 or 2) and ≥40 years of age for men and ≥50 years of age for women, plus one of the risk factors defined in protocol.
- Male patients > 50 years of age or females > 60 years of age, with at least one of the risk factors defined in protocol.
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Allergy or intolerance to omega-3 carboxylic acids, omega-3 fatty acids, omega-3-acid ethyl esters, or corn oil. 2.Use of fibrates, bile acid sequestrants, or niacin or its analogues (> 250 mg/day) within 4 weeks prior to Visit 2. 3.Statin naÃ¯ve at Visit 1.