STAR Center Shines
News and Notes – September, 2012
The Simulation, Teaching and Academic Research (STAR) Center at West Penn Allegheny Health System makes a significant impact on the community by providing continuing education for the EMS community and other healthcare professions.
STAR is dedicated to achieving excellence in patient care through the pursuit of lifelong learning, research and innovation. Using state-of-the-art mannequins that mimic the symptoms of a wide range of health conditions, the STAR Center provides hands-on learning opportunities to allow aspiring and practicing health professionals to perfect their skills in situations closely resembling the clinical environment.
Community events in which the STAR Ambulance participated included:
- Monroeville Safety Day held Aug. 11, 2012, at Forbes Regional Hospital. The fair provided opportunities that entertained, inspired and motivated visitors to learn safety techniques and explore science and technology.
- Monroeville Target Store’s National Night Out. This event aimed to generate support for and participation in local anti-crime programs and to strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships.
Education provided by STAR includes the following:
- The STAR Ambulance continues to reach out to the EMS community offering competency testing and skills review eight times during the past two months in Pitcairn, Penn Hills, Sewickley Township, Monroeville and Jeannette.
- STAR’s Pet Emergency First Aid Course was held Aug. 29 at the Peters Township Outpatient Care Center receiving an overwhelming response.
- STAR is working on collaboration with the West Penn Burn Center to provide continuing education for EMS providers.
- STAR is an official Accredited Continuing Education Sponsor through the Pennsylvania Department of Health Bureau of Emergency Medical Services and will begin offering continuing education courses soon.
- STAR is providing simulation education for Chatham University’s physician assistant and physical therapy programs as well as LaRoche College’s student registered nurse anesthetists program.
- STAR continues to provide online learning through Healthstream Learning Management Systems, which was funded by a donation from The Governing Board of The Women’s Committee of West Penn Hospital.