Allegheny Health Network (AHN) offers comprehensive care for the full spectrum of brain injuries. At AHN Neuroscience Institute, we focus on treating moderate and severe forms of traumatic brain injuries that may occur from car accidents, work-related falls, or sports injuries.
For the most complex concussion cases, our leading neurologists and neurosurgeons provide exceptional surgical expertise and thoughtful follow-up care. We help you manage post-concussion symptoms with the right treatments for you, so you can safely get back to your personal or professional pursuits.
A concussion is a type of brain injury caused by a sudden bump or blunt force trauma to the head. Moderate and severe concussions due to a car accident or other serious brain injury cause more trauma to the brain, such as bleeding
As part of our concussion program, AHN’s neurologists and neurosurgeons care for adolescents and adults who experience serious concussion injuries or lingering concussion symptoms, such as headaches or seizures.
Patients choose AHN for concussion care because of our:
- Expertise: AHN is home to nationally renowned concussion experts who take a team approach to concussion care. Our primary care sports medicine physicians help many patients with mild concussions feel better with medication and therapy. Our neurologists and neurosurgeons have years of experience helping people recover from more severe forms of brain injuries. Get more information about sports related concussion care at the AHN Orthopaedic Institute.
- Long-term support: Brain injuries affect every person differently. Our specialists understand the impact a serious brain injury can have on your ability to work and function. We tailor diagnostic tests and treatments to your circumstances and support you throughout your recovery.
- Professional-level care: Our team provides top-tier concussion care to athletes of all abilities. We are in the dugouts and on the sidelines of professional teams including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Pittsburgh Riverhounds soccer team – and we offer the same exceptional expertise to each of our patients.
- Research: Our concussion team works to raise concussion awareness in the community while advancing concussion care through research. Our research efforts include studying the link between traumatic brain injuries and seizure symptoms. Read more about our Neuroscience Research Center.
At AHN Neuroscience Institute, board-certified physicians with expertise in concussions will care for you.
Your care may include:
- Medication: Medication can relieve certain symptoms, such as headaches or dizziness. Your physician helps determine which medications would most benefit you.
- Occupational therapy : Knowledgeable occupational therapists help you extend your abilities, so you can move more easily and relearn how to perform routine tasks.
- Speech therapy : Skilled speech pathologists can help you address speaking difficulties due to a brain injury.
- Vestibular therapy : Physical therapists use focused techniques to relieve problems such as dizziness and difficulty balancing.
- Cognitive therapy : Psychologists can help you work through memory or concentration issues so you can regain balance in your life.
- Surgery : Our nationally recognized trauma care team, including skilled neurosurgeons, treats patients with critical conditions in Allegheny General Hospital’s Level 1 Trauma Center. We provide lifesaving surgical procedures, 24/7 monitoring, and advanced rehabilitation services to help people recover from severe brain injuries.