Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center at Allegheny General
Allegheny General Hospital (AGH) was one of the first medical centers in the country, and the first in western Pennsylvania, to be recognized by the Joint Commission as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. Our board-certified neurologists, neurosurgeons, and neuro-interventionalists offer advanced treatments for people experiencing and recovering from life-changing strokes.
Stroke care at Allegheny General Hospital: Why choose us?
The AGH Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center is a recipient of the American Heart Association’s (AHA) Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. When you come to our award-winning stroke center, you benefit from:
- Neurocritical care: The Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center at AGH is part of the Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Neuroscience Institute. People with immediate, life-threatening neurological problems receive dedicated care in our neurological intensive care unit.
- Fast diagnosis: We use RAPID™ artificial intelligence software to quickly process computed tomography (CT scans) of the brain. This technology helps our doctors gauge blood flow and damaged areas of the brain. As a result, we can use more treatment options and extend the critical stroke response time from six hours to 24 hours.
- Advanced stroke treatments: Our standing as a certified Comprehensive Stroke Center means we have the experts and treatments you need, when you need them. Treatments range from clot-busting therapies to advanced endovascular procedures.
- Dedicated experts: Our specialists work together to improve your chances of recovery while minimizing neurological damage. Find out more about cerebrovascular and stroke care at AHN.
- Fast transportation: The AHN LifeFlight emergency services rapidly brings people experiencing strokes to AGH for acute stroke care. We’re part of the AHA’s Target: Stroke efforts to provide rapid stroke assessments and treatments.
- Rehabilitation programs: Our physical, occupational, and speech therapists help you regain strength, movement, and speech capabilities. Our Healthcare@Home supports people recovering at home.
Schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment for follow up care with an AHN stroke specialist at Allegheny General Hospital Comprehensive Stroke Center call: (412) 359-8850.
Allegheny General Hospital
320 East North Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Start your journey to better health with a new doctor or specialist
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 and we’ll help you find a primary care physician (PCP) or specialist in your area and book your first appointment.
AHN also offers other convenient ways to schedule health care appointments including a variety of virtual telehealth doctor appointment options.