Gastroenterology and Autoimmune Digestive Disorders
Daily digestive problems can impact your personal and professional life in a big way. We can help.
In our Autoimmunity Institute, specialists from different backgrounds work closely together so you quickly get the right care for your circumstances. And our Celiac Center and IBD Clinic are designated Centers of Excellence, which illustrates their high level of care.
Celiac Disease Center of Excellence (COE)
Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition that affects how the body digests gluten. Avoiding gluten in all forms is the best treatment for celiac disease, but switching to a gluten-free lifestyle isn’t always easy. At our Celiac Disease COE, our team will work with you every step of the way.
When people who are newly diagnosed with celiac disease come to our clinic, we:
- Learn your needs and teach you about all aspects of a gluten-free diet. You’ll sit down with different specialists over the course of a few hours:
- A gastroenterologist will explain the basics of celiac disease.
- A dietitian will offer helpful eating strategies to change your diet in a way that works for your life.
- A clinical psychologist will help you cope with the behavioral health changes you need to make to manage the condition.
- Provide a sampling of gluten-free snacks for you to try
- Send you home with a personalized treatment plan, with practical tips and follow-up care recommendations that are tailored to your needs
Our comprehensive inflammatory bowel disease treatment
At our Autoimmunity Institute, we provide highly specialized care for the diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. We also care for other autoimmune digestive concerns.
Our care team — from gastroenterologists to clinical psychologists — have received special training in autoimmune digestive disorders. We use the latest diagnostic tests and treatments, including medication and surgical therapies.
We will work with you to resolve your symptoms now and manage the condition long term. If your treatment plan includes an infusion or injection therapy, you will also benefit from our updated on-site therapy suites.
A new approach to autoimmune digestive disorder care
At the Autoimmunity Institute, we are rethinking how people with autoimmune conditions get care — as well as what that care looks like. We have recruited autoimmune specialists from 15 different medical disciplines to a single location to offer patients a new level of care, quality and attention.
When you visit our Autoimmunity Institute, you benefit from:
- A team of skilled physicians — from 15 different specialties — who work together as a team to address every way autoimmune digestive disorders, such as Crohn’s disease and autoimmune hepatitis, can affect your health and life
- Coordinated care that takes the burden of assembling complex medical records and medication lists off your hands
- An updated facility designed to promote close collaboration among your care team, in a comfortable atmosphere
- Convenience from seeing more than one specialist in a single visit
- Leading treatment options, such as advanced infusion and injection therapies
- Nutrition and behavioral health providers who provide support and guidance and understand the challenges you face
- A focus on research from a health system and team that will never stop searching for a cure for digestive and other autoimmune disorders
West Penn Hospital
4815 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Located in 250 Mellon Pavilion
Call (833) 242-8246 to learn more about AHN autoimmune services.