All applications must be completed and submitted using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Our General Surgery Residency Program Office will not accept paper applications. The deadline for applying to our General Surgery Residency Program is Dec. 1.
All of the following must be received by our General Surgery Residency Program Office for your application to be considered complete:
- Completed application from ERAS
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Official medical school transcript
- Dean's letter
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be general surgery)
- USMLE Board scores, including Step 1 and Step 2 (both CK and CS). Note: Any applicant who has not passed United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 AND Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge [CK] and Clinical Skills [CS]) by the time the rank list is due will not be considered for ranking.
Foreign medical school graduates must in addition:
- Submit with the application a copy of current and valid ECFMG certification (there is no minimum required score)
- Provide evidence of a current and valid English qualifying examination
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals in the United States
- Hold a J-1 visa - we do not sponsor the H-1B visa
- Have a graduate license for training in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Contact the Graduate Medical Education Office at 412.359.3166 with any questions.
Osteopathic medical school graduates must in addition:
- Submit proof of completion of a 1-year rotating internship or, if your internship is still in progress, a letter from your current rotating internship director that states your status in the program and the anticipated completion date. This internship year is required by the Pennsylvania State Board of Osteopathic Medicine to obtain an unrestricted license.
- In lieu of or in addition to the USMLE, a copy of COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2 CE and PE are required.
- Have a graduate license for training in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Contact our Graduate Medical Education Office at 412.359.3166 with any questions.
Our Admissions Committee reviews applications and applies the specific criteria that we use for granting interviews.
Personal interviews are by invitation only and are required for acceptance to our program.