Healthy Food Center
Fitting healthy, whole foods into your diet offers a wealth of health benefits. But it can also get expensive. If your budget makes it difficult for you to make healthy food choices, we can help.
At the Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Healthy Food Center, we provide free healthy food options and nutrition counseling in the greater Pittsburgh community. We aim to make nutritious meals a reality for more families — regardless of your financial situation.
What is the Healthy Food Center?
We created the Healthy Food Center to make sure our patients have access to healthy foods and nutrition counseling to help manage their overall health, no matter their income or budget. We partner with the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank to provide healthy food choices to people in need.
Healthy Food Center location
The Healthy Food Center is located beside West Penn Hospital. Our address is:
4921 Mend Way
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Healthy Food Center hours
Our operating hours are:
- Monday: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Tuesday: 1–4 p.m. (Closed for nutrition counseling 9 a.m.–1 p.m.)
- Wednesday: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Thursday: 9 a.m.–1 p.m. (Closed for nutrition counseling 1–4 p.m.)
- Friday: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
What to expect during your first visit to the Healthy Food Center
At your first visit, one of our registered dietitians will ask you about your dietary needs and guide you through our center. This visit will last about 30 minutes.
You will leave with enough fruits, vegetables, and other nutritious items to last you for two to three days.
You can also receive free one-on-one nutrition counseling. During this session, we will teach you how to make healthy choices that match your tastes and target any medical conditions that affect you.
Our services: learn the basics of healthy eating
As part of the AHN Center for Inclusion Health, the Healthy Food Center provides a variety of free nutritious food choices while helping you adopt sustainable eating habits that work for your schedule and lifestyle. Our registered dietitians offer practical tips on a wide range of healthy eating topics, including:
- Family-friendly recipe ideas
- How to shop for healthy foods while on a budget
- Cooking with less common fruits and vegetables and other whole foods
- Preparing healthy recipes that fit your family’s tastes
- Health and weight management
How to participate in the Healthy Food Center
If you think you and your family could benefit from the Healthy Food Center:
- Ask your physician for a referral.
- Then, visit the center (with your printed referral) during our drop-in hours Monday through Friday.