The West Penn Burn Center is a nationally recognized leader in innovative burn care. We’re the only burn center in western Pennsylvania verified by the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons for the treatment of adults and children. This distinction recognizes our ability to provide high-quality patient care from time of injury to rehabilitation. We provide exemplary burn care for children and adults.
Burn care at West Penn Hospital: Why choose us?
Part of the Allegheny Health Network (AHN), the West Penn Burn Center meets the unique needs of people with burn injuries. Here, you benefit from our:
- Deep expertise: Each year, we treat more than 2,000 people with burn injuries. People come to us from Ohio, West Virginia, New York, and Maryland for advanced burn treatments.
- Patient-focused care: Our triage process offers rapid admissions into the burn center to ensure fast, safe care for burn injuries. This approach minimizes stress on you and your loved ones while decreasing the risk of infection.
- Dedicated outpatient services: When needed, you receive advanced ongoing treatments after discharge at our Outpatient Burn Clinic.
- Advanced wound care: Our care extends to the treatment of nonhealing wounds that may be painful and prone to infection. We also treat toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) and other serious skin disorders that cause painful blisters and peeling skin.
- Specialized care for children: Our innovative pediatric burn program provides medical and psychological services for children injured by burns. Our verification to provide burn care to children dates back to [year].
- Mental health counseling: Your care team includes mental health professionals who can help you and your loved ones cope with issues that can arise from a traumatic burn injury. People with burn injuries and loved ones can participate in Burn Concern Support Groups.
- Rehabilitation programs: Our physical and occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists help you regain strength, movement, and speech and swallowing capabilities. Our Healthcare@Home supports people recovering at home. Learn more about West Penn physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Fast transportation: The AHN LifeFlight emergency services rapidly brings people with burn injuries to West Penn for immediate care.
About the West Penn Burn Center
Our modern center promotes physical and emotional healing. We have:
- 14 private, temperature-controlled, ventilated rooms
- Six specially equipped beds for the most critically injured
- Sophisticated treatment rooms
- Facilities to treat thermal, electrical, and chemical injuries
- Special treatment protocols for smoke inhalation injuries
- An outpatient burn clinic
- Children’s playroom
- Large, comfortable family waiting area
Call (412) 578-5273 to speak to a specialist at the West Penn Burn Center inpatient unit. Call (412) 578-5120 for the outpatient clinic.
West Penn Hospital
North Tower, Second Floor
4800 Friendship Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224