When your kidneys can no longer work on their own (called end-stage renal disease or kidney failure), a kidney transplant can save your life. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Surgery Institute, we provide outstanding kidney transplant care that’s tailored to your needs and circumstances. We also perform pancreas transplant surgery for people with decreased organ function from type 1 diabetes.
We offer medical expertise with plenty of resources to make the transplant process easier. And because of our high kidney transplant rate, patients on our wait list are twice as likely to receive a kidney transplant compared to other programs in the U.S.
Dedicated transplant specialists lead our kidney and pancreas transplant program based at Allegheny General Hospital. In our program, we provide comprehensive kidney and pancreas transplant care that’s customized to you.
Highlights of our program include:
- Transplant expertise: Our transplant program has provided life-changing kidney and pancreas transplants to patients since 1987. Our transplant surgeons are board-certified and fellowship-trained, which means they have spent years studying medical and transplant care. This training has helped them perform complex transplant procedures successfully and safely.
- Shorter wait times: We have the highest transplant rate in the region, which is twice the national average. That means our patients receive a transplant sooner than patients in other programs across the country.
- Exceptional results: The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients gives our kidney and pancreas transplant program high marks for our transplant outcomes. Our 1- and 3-year graft survival rates for patients receiving living donor kidneys are on par or better than the national average. This data shows that our patients are living longer, fuller lives.
- Experienced care: Our transplant surgeons performed more than 100 kidney transplant procedures in 2017 — which translated to more lives saved than most other kidney transplant programs in Pennsylvania. Treating more patients refines our surgeons’ techniques. It also helps us deliver consistently excellent results.
- Tailored approach: Our transplant care revolves around you. We tailor your care to fit your health needs and circumstances. This personalized approach helps us transplant organs into patients that other centers consider too high risk. It also ensures we match you with an organ that offers the best chance of a successful result.
- Convenience: Our team of specialists come together at our transplant clinic to provide specialized care in one place. At this center, you can meet with different members of your care team — from surgeons to social workers — without the hassle of multiple appointments.
We perform all transplant surgeries at Allegheny General Hospital on a floor dedicated to transplant care. Everyone on our team — including surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists — specializes in transplant care.
We are skilled in performing intricate transplant procedures. We offer:
- Kidney transplant surgery
- Pancreas transplant surgery
- Combined kidney-pancreas transplant surgery
The journey to a kidney or pancreas transplant can feel long and overwhelming. Our team makes the process easier, faster, and safer by coordinating your tests and appointments. Learn more about our transplant process in our patient guide to kidney transplant.
Kidney donation offers people at the end stages of renal disease a new chance at life. If you’re considering kidney donation, we can help you give the gift of life while protecting your health and safety.
Our comprehensive living kidney donor program offers the support you need to make this important decision. And if you decide kidney donation is for you, our surgeons use sophisticated robotic technology to perform the surgery. Robotic surgery makes this already safe procedure even safer. Learn more about kidney donation.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN kidney and pancreas transplant services.