At Allegheny Health Network (AHN), your child’s smile is as precious to our dentists as it is to you. Our pediatric dentist delivers age-appropriate care that helps your child have healthy teeth and gums for life. Our team also catches the early signs of problems that may affect your child’s well-being.
Pediatric dentistry at AHN: Why choose us?
We meet more of your child’s medical and dental care needs in one program. If you come to us, your child receives dental services from the same network of medical providers you already know and trust. We are among the few health systems in the U.S. able to offer this level of comprehensive care.
Highlights of our program include:
- Highly skilled dentists: Our team includes a dentist who is board-certified in pediatric dental care. Board certification means our dentist maintains high care standards and stays up-to-date on the latest pediatric dental care practices. And many of our general dentists have years of experience caring for children of all ages. Meet our dental medicine team.
- A focus on well-being: We watch your child’s teeth for overcrowding that can cause gum disease and tooth decay. We also check for swollen tissue at the back of the throat (adenoids) and enlarged tonsils that can cause sleep problems. Catching these problems early allows your child to receive timely treatment and avoid complications.
- Specialized services: We have dental specialists that can provide effective care for your child, no matter the dental issue. Our team includes orthodontists who straighten children’s teeth. All of our dentists and specialists work together to coordinate services for efficient care and better results.
A safe, comfortable dental experience for your child
Our experience includes caring for children as young as one year old. And we do everything possible to make going to the dentist less scary for your child.
Child-friendly dental visits
We explain every step of a dental exam to your child using words they can understand. We show them the instruments and describe the sounds or sensations they cause. If your child becomes overwhelmed, we take breaks and give encouragement. We follow these same steps when performing dental procedures, such as filling cavities.
We help children with special needs get safe, effective care with sedation dentistry. This service is for children with behavioral or medical problems, such as autism, that make it hard to sit still.
Many of our dentists completed training in the use of nitrous oxide (laughing gas). Nitrous oxide can help children with these problems feel less afraid.
In some cases, medication to put your child to sleep and feel no sensation (general anesthesia) is the best option. Our team includes a dental anesthesiologist who specializes in delivering anesthesia to children. Our dental anesthesiologist’s expertise helps lower the risk of complications. Your child can go home the same day.
Emergency dental care
Dental emergencies can happen any time, day or night, which is why we are always available. A member of our team stands ready to treat emergencies 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Emergencies include teeth that fall out or crack from a blow to the mouth.
For dental emergencies that occur, call (412) 359-3685 to request an appointment:
- During regular business hours, we may be able to see your child in our office the same day.
- In the evening or on weekends, you can speak with one of our on-call dentists by phone. You can also take your child to the emergency room at Allegheny General Hospital.
Dental care for children: Our services
Our dental services for children include:
- Parent education: We explain how to avoid problems such as baby bottle tooth decay. We also explain how to keep your child’s teeth and gums healthy with a well-rounded diet. These recommendations lower your child’s risk for future dental work.
- Dental exams: We examine your child’s mouth for problems such as gum disease and cavities. We use X-ray tests to see the positioning of your child’s baby and adult teeth below the gum line. Our focus on your child’s future dental needs helps you know what to expect. We also let you know as early as possible if we see problems that may require orthodontic care.
- Teeth cleanings: We remove buildups of sugar and bacteria (plaque) from your child’s teeth. Regular cleanings can help your child avoid dental problems, such as cavities.
Specialized dental services for children
Other dental services for children available at AHN include:
- Orthodontics: Our orthodontists use braces and other devices to straighten your child’s teeth. Having straight teeth reduces wear and tear that could cause your child to lose adult teeth. Straight teeth can also relieve jaw pain in children who have temporal mandibular joint disorder (TMJ). Find out more about orthodontist services.
- Mouth guards: We protect your child’s teeth with custom mouth guards. Some children need mouth guards if they grind their teeth at night or if they participate in sports where they could get hit in the mouth. These sports include hockey and basketball.
Call (412) 359-3685 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN dental medicine services.