On the frontier of advanced specialty heart care
Allegheny Health Network Cardiovascular Institute (CVI) is one of the premier cardiac programs in the country. We provide superior state-of-the-art care for patients with heart disease and access to Western Pennsylvania's most comprehensive, multidisciplinary team of specialists and innovative therapies, including many available only through advanced clinical trials.
The physicians of the Allegheny Health Network CVI’s seven hospitals and 20 outpatient Pittsburgh and Erie-area locations maintain a singular focus on each and every patient, ensuring that the care you receive is specific to your needs and the most effective approach to a full recovery. Our true passion is to keep hearts beating healthier and longer. This comes to life through our inventive spirit of discovering new ways to diagnose and treat heart disease, some of which include:
- Helped pioneer the use of the latest generation of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators, battery-powered devices that continuously monitor heart rhythm, collect important data about heart function and assist in regulating abnormal heartbeat.
- Among the first in the nation to perform transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), replacing defective aortic heart valves via a minimally invasive catheter procedure.
- Introduced new treatments to repair defective mitral valves via robot-assisted minimally invasive surgery or through a catheter-based approach where the leaflets of the valve are clipped together.
- Played an instrumental role in the development of left ventricular assist devices (LVAD), mechanical pumps that are surgically implanted to assist a weakened heart muscle either as a destination therapy or bridge to transplant.
According to Quantros Inc.; CareChex® 2017 National Quality Rating Database: FFY 2013, 2014 and 2015, Allegheny Health Network is:
- Highest Rated Health System in Western PA* for Medical Excellence in Cardiac Care, Stroke Care, and Women's Health
- Rated among the Top 10 percent nationally for Patient Safety in Cardiac Care
Our Specialties & Departments
The Heartbeat of Innovation
An 80-year-old man, for whom traditional surgery was not an option, is getting a healthier heart with a revolutionary type of heart valve replacement surgery. At Allegheny General Hospital (AGH) in Pittsburgh, transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) surgery requires only a small incision, which is less risky for elderly or other high-risk patients.
The Heartbeat of Innovation
Innovative Heart Stent Disappears
Taking Steps to Keep a Heart Healthy
Meet Kristen - Allegheny Health Women's Health - Cardiovascular Services
We want to empower you to make the necessary lifestyle changes to improve your heart health. Our goal is to help you prevent or manage heart disease to help you live the fullest life possible.
The Institute’s research program spans a diverse range of investigative areas, including basic, translational, clinical, surgical and imaging research. In addition, the Institute is a partner in more than 100 clinical trials, giving patients access to some of the newest and most promising treatment options.