Many people in the Pittsburgh area turn to our orthodontist services for a straighter smile. Our orthodontist has years of experience using braces to help children and adults achieve straight teeth. And we can do the same for you.
At Allegheny Health Network (AHN), we offer all of the latest options. We also coordinate with other AHN dental specialists whenever necessary to help you get excellent results.
An orthodontist specializes in fixing problems that happen when your teeth are out of alignment. Straight teeth are easier to keep clean, which lowers your risk for cavities and gum disease. They also help your jaw work efficiently so you can avoid joint and muscle problems.
Our orthodontist treats problems such as:
- Overbites: When you have an overbite, your front upper teeth cover your lower teeth when you bite down.
- Underbites: If you have an underbite, your lower teeth cover your front upper teeth when you bite down.
- Overcrowding: This condition happens when there are too many teeth in the same area of the jaw.
- Tooth spacing problems: You may have a gap between two teeth that are next to each other. This problem can occur if you lose a tooth and do not replace it with an artificial one — the remaining teeth on either side may tilt towards the open space.
At AHN, our highly skilled orthodontist cares for you. You also have access to all the latest options for braces, including those that blend with your natural tooth color.
Other highlights of our program include:
- Timely care for children: We start seeing children from a young age to check for problems that may get worse with time, such as overcrowding. We stay in touch through regular follow-up appointments so we can recommend braces at the most appropriate time. Our approach helps your child receive braces precisely when they are most helpful.
- Cosmetic dentistry services: If you also want to change the size, shape, and color of your teeth, we tailor our services to meet your unique needs. One way is by combining your orthodontic care with other cosmetic dentistry services. Find out more about cosmetic dentistry.
- Effective care: Orthodontics may be a part of your care for other dental issues. If you lose teeth due to gum disease or cavities, your remaining teeth may shift out of place. Straightening them with braces before receiving other treatments, such as dental implants, helps you achieve the best possible results. Read more about our dental medicine services.
Getting straight teeth may also help you or your child find relief from problems such as:
- Difficulty chewing
- Grinding or clenching teeth
- Gum disease
- Jaw pain from temporal mandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome
- Sleep apnea, which causes you to stop breathing while you are sleeping
- Tooth decay
If you or your child needs braces, we offer many options, including:
- Metal braces: We attach metal brackets to each tooth and connect them with a wire. During follow-up visits, we make small adjustments to the wires to guide teeth into the right spots.
- Ceramic brackets: We use brackets made of a white material that blends with your natural tooth color.
- Clear Aligners: This option uses a clear device that fits over your teeth. We replace the device every few weeks with one that is slightly different. The small changes in the device help guide teeth to the right position.
Insurance sometimes covers a portion of the cost of orthodontic services — especially in patients younger than 19. But often, people need to pay for these services out of pocket. We can help you weigh your options and understand the costs before starting treatment.
Call (412) 359-3685 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN dental services.