AHN’s team includes primary care sports medicine physicians who specialize in diagnosing and treating complex injuries. You also have access to orthopaedists dedicated to caring for hand, foot, and spine problems. This level of expertise means you can count on us for an accurate orthopaedic evaluation, even for symptoms that come and go or pain that’s difficult to describe.
Highlights of our program include:
- Prompt access: AHN’s physical therapists have direct access certification, meaning you can see us without a physician referral. We are often able to deliver a diagnosis and start your treatment during the same visit. You may continue seeing us for up to 30 days. Read more about orthopaedic physical therapy.
- Coordinated services: We provide athletic training services to sports teams from all over western Pennsylvania. When there is an injury, our certified athletic trainers perform an evaluation on the spot. For problems requiring follow-up care, we help athletes get an appointment with one of our sports medicine physicians as quickly as possible. Learn more about sports medicine and sports performance.
- Complete care: You receive the services you need in one program, including nonsurgical and surgical treatments. We offer injections for stubborn pain and vestibular therapy for coordination problems after a concussion. If you need surgery, we deliver everything from joint replacement to hand reconstruction. Find out more about orthopaedic and sports injuries we treat.
We start by listening to you describe the symptoms. We then perform a detailed physical examination. Our expertise from treating a high number of patients helps us accurately diagnose common problems without imaging tests.
If additional testing is necessary, we may recommend:
- X-ray: This test uses beams of energy (X-rays) to produce images of your bones.
- Ultrasound: This test examines the fine details of muscles and surrounding tissue with the help of sound waves.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): We produce high-definition images of bones and joints using a large magnet and radio waves.
- Computed tomography (CT) scan: A CT is a sophisticated type of X-ray test that allows us to examine complex structures, such as a hip joint, in exquisite detail.
If you have a complex sports injury or you are living with an orthopaedic condition such as arthritis, we offer sophisticated tests. These tests help us get to the source of the problem and recommend the treatments that best meet your needs.
Testing available at AHN includes:
- Electromyography (nerve study): During a nerve study, we measure electrical activity in your muscles, which helps us evaluate the nerves that control them. You may need a nerve study if you have numbness in your hands or legs.
- Concussion testing: If you took a hard hit to the head, we check you for signs of a mild brain injury (concussion). In some cases, we use mobile concussion testing technology to evaluate symptoms right from the sidelines. Learn more about concussions.
- EOS™ spinal imaging: If you have a spinal problem, such as scoliosis, the EOS system produces a 3-D, head-to-toe image of the spine. These images help us examine problems and plan treatments with a high degree of precision. Read more about our Spine Division.
Call (412) DOCTORS 412-362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN Orthopaedic services.