Families who choose AHN for pregnancy and newborn care benefit from:
- High quality care in a community setting: AHN provides the same high-quality care found at large university medical centers, but in a more intimate setting. Here, you deliver your baby in the convenience and security of the community that you call home.
- Experts you trust: At AHN, the physician delivering your baby is always someone who knows you and your pregnancy history. Your dedicated health care team listens to your concerns and works with you to provide the birth experience you desire.
- Support for medically challenging situations: If you need help conceiving, or if tests indicate that your unborn baby has a potential health problem, our fertility treatment and high-risk pregnancy specialists can help.
- Pregnancy and childbirth classes: Families can attend classes on a range of topics including childbirth, breast-feeding, infant care, and parenting. Check out our classes.
- Help for depression: Our women’s behavioral health specialists treat mood and anxiety disorders that often affect women during or after pregnancy, during fertility treatments, or after a pregnancy loss.
- Help with addiction: AHN’s Perinatal Hope Program provides personalized treatment and support for pregnant women and new moms who are struggling with a substance use disorder. These services are located at multiple locations throughout the region.
The labor and delivery suites at most AHN hospitals allow families to remain in the same comfortable, private room throughout the birth experience. In addition, your AHN hospital may offer:
- Nurse midwife services for pregnancy, childbirth, and well-woman care
- Whirlpool tubs in the labor and delivery suites to alleviate labor pains
- Dedicated cesarean section rooms equipped with the latest technology
- Delayed umbilical cord clamping to ensure your baby receives immunity-boosting blood
- Opportunity to donate umbilical cord blood (you must arrange for this service prior to delivery)
- Breast-feeding support to help new moms succeed at breast-feeding and pumping
- Skin-to-skin or kangaroo care to soothe baby and promote bonding
Advanced medical services for newborns include:
Our level III neonatal intensive care units (NICU) at West Penn and Saint Vincent hospitals provide high-level medical care for premature and critically ill babies. Our level II NICUs at Forbes and Jefferson hospitals care for infants with medical needs who are not critically ill. Learn more about our NICUs.
Infant apnea program: Experts at our Infant Apnea Program care for babies who have breathing problems and require at-home oxygen support or monitoring.
The following AHN hospitals provide obstetric care (childbirth services):
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN pregnancy and newborn services