Why Choose Us for Lung Cancer Treatment?
At Allegheny Health Network Cancer Institute, we find the treatment solution that will be most effective for you. We work to destroy the cancer and help you live a full, active life. In addition to treatments like radiation therapy and chemotherapy, we offer cutting-edge treatments like oral therapy that target specific types of lung cancer.
Lung cancer: our approach to care
We have a long history of pioneering lung cancer screening and treatment. We understand how lung cancer works and grows and how to treat it effectively. At the Cancer Institute, you’ll find:
- Innovative screening: We offer an innovative screening program at locations throughout the area. Screenings help us catch lung cancer at its earliest and most curable stages.
- Targeted therapy: We test for a specific type of lung cancer called driver-mutated lung cancer. This type of cancer is often responsive to minimally invasive oral therapy. Determining whether you have this type of cancer allows us to choose a treatment that we know will be effective.
- Patient-centric care: We offer the same high level of quality care at various locations close to your home. Throughout your care, a Navigation Team helps manage your treatment to make the process personal and reassuring. And our robust support services, including support groups and palliative care, provide care for the whole person.
- Proactive tools: We offer educational online tools through a grant from Carnegie Mellon University, to help patients learn more about lung cancer prevention quickly and privately.
- A convenient, after hours cancer clinic: AHN opened the first After Hours Oncology Clinic in western Pennsylvania for patients with cancer. If you are experiencing side effects from treatment, call your physician’s office first, then visit our clinic, conveniently located at West Penn Hospital. We treat you quickly without exposing your compromised immune system to the germs you may encounter at a traditional emergency room. Plus, our clinic is more affordable than a visit to the ER. And since our oncology specialists have access to your records, they may even be able to advise you over the phone and save you from making a trip.
Lung cancer: diagnosis and treatment
Our skilled team of medical oncologists and surgeons treats various types of lung cancer. We offer sophisticated detection tools to determine the exact cancer type and stage, so we can plan an effective treatment. Find out more about lung cancer diagnosis.
After the diagnosis, we discuss your treatment options. When we catch lung cancer early, we often recommend surgery. If the cancer is more advanced, we offer several options like radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy. We also focus on quality of life, with a palliative care team devoted to keeping you comfortable during treatment. Learn more about our approach to lung cancer treatment.